Your Thoughts/Prayers/Voodoo Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glenn I know you'll say you were lucky that Marie shared many years of marriage with you. But you know brother, I think Marie was darn lucky to have had your love and devotion for over 45 years. God's love is in your heart kind sir.

Thank you, beernbourbon, for checking up on me! Over the past 2+years, I have learned many things. First, I have learned how easy it is to balance the checkbook if you have a computer connected to the bank! Balancing the checkbook was NOT a high priority on Marie's list, so it was kind of like a game of horseshoes...close counts! But I have also learned that the ache of loss never goes away. It's always there, but the passage of time gives you tools to deal with it. Tomorrow, I will be celebrating Thanksgiving with my daughter and son-in-law and son-in-law's family in St. Charles, Illinois. I will be deep-frying TWO turkeys! They are ready to go, except for the marinade injections. I also made the stuffing to bake in the oven. I plan on giving thanks for many things, most definitely for a loving and faithful wife for over 46 years who is singing her thanks in the heavenly chorus.

And here's something to give thanks for! The end of October, I sent a letter of appeal to the county Board of Review, stating that my property tax assessment was too high, and should be lowered. I compared my property to the property next door. I have a much smaller lot, a smaller house, a 1.5 car garage vs. a three-car garage, and the tax assessment on THAT property was lower than mine. Never having done something like this before, I had no idea what would happen. Today, I got my answer. First, I do NOT have to attend a hearing. The facts and figures I put in my letter were enough for the Board to look over. Second, my property tax assessment has been REDUCED BY $6,287.00! I had asked for at least a $4,116.00 reduction. Looks like they agreed with me...and then some! Using last year's tax rate and this year's new assessment, my property taxes could drop by over $700.00! I will most definitely give thanks tomorrow!

Thank you, beernbourbon, for checking up on me! Over the past 2+years, I have learned many things. First, I have learned how easy it is to balance the checkbook if you have a computer connected to the bank! Balancing the checkbook was NOT a high priority on Marie's list, so it was kind of like a game of horseshoes...close counts! But I have also learned that the ache of loss never goes away. It's always there, but the passage of time gives you tools to deal with it. Tomorrow, I will be celebrating Thanksgiving with my daughter and son-in-law and son-in-law's family in St. Charles, Illinois. I will be deep-frying TWO turkeys! They are ready to go, except for the marinade injections. I also made the stuffing to bake in the oven. I plan on giving thanks for many things, most definitely for a loving and faithful wife for over 46 years who is singing her thanks in the heavenly chorus.

Yes, I love being attached to my bank at all times. I keep a close eye on finances. The less ya got, the more ya gotta watch! lol
You are correct. The ache never goes, but you have more moments than not where you aren't consciously thinking about her, and that does make it easier.
Nice!! TWO? I haven't been willing to do one yet, I'm afraid I'll like it TOO much. Is bad enough that everyone loves my smoked turkey, I'd end up fatter with something that delicious being deep fried!

And here's something to give thanks for! The end of October, I sent a letter of appeal to the county Board of Review, stating that my property tax assessment was too high, and should be lowered. I compared my property to the property next door. I have a much smaller lot, a smaller house, a 1.5 car garage vs. a three-car garage, and the tax assessment on THAT property was lower than mine. Never having done something like this before, I had no idea what would happen. Today, I got my answer. First, I do NOT have to attend a hearing. The facts and figures I put in my letter were enough for the Board to look over. Second, my property tax assessment has been REDUCED BY $6,287.00! I had asked for at least a $4,116.00 reduction. Looks like they agreed with me...and then some! Using last year's tax rate and this year's new assessment, my property taxes could drop by over $700.00! I will most definitely give thanks tomorrow!

That is AWESOME!! Well done, sir!

Take care of yourself, Glenn, enjoy the holiday with the kids. I'm happy to hear you are doing well.

Glad to hear you are doing well and going to enjoy the holiday with your daughter and family! Best of luck on those turkeys! The tax adjustment is awesome! Happy Thanksgiving Glenn!

John

beernbourbon...

Back in the day when the kids were young, and we lived in Wisconsin, I would roast the turkey in he Weber grill. That, however, was 25 years ago! I learned to deep-fry turkeys while we lived in Texas. When we moved back to northern Illinois, Marie quickly bought me a deep-fry kit for turkeys and other stuff. Considering that a 16 pound bird will absorb perhaps a cup of peanut oil, it is really a relatively healthy way of cooking a bird. BUT...I've said this on another thread...DO NOT BRINE A FROZEN TURKEY, unless it is with water and herbs ONLY. ALL commercially frozen birds are injected with saline solution so they can claim "self-basting." I brined a frozen turkey breast and deep-fried it...that was the first and last time! If you have a fresh bird, go ahead with the brine.

glenn514:mug:

Good morning, brewers and brewerettes. I was doing alright today until a few minutes ago. I was hanging the Christmas stockings for the family and came across Marie's. Her stocking, my stocking, the stockings of the four daughters, and one son-in-law's stocking were all lovingly hand-knit with the owner's name across the top. Hers said "Mommy," and mine says "Daddy." That's when I lost it. Two years ago today, Jesus took hold of her hand and led her out of that painful 5 month journey following two massive strokes. As I have mentioned before, the grief and pain are still there, and always will be there. But the passage of time gives us tools to deal with and manage that grief and pain. So, I can still boldly proclaim A MERRY AND BLESSED CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL ON HBT!

Good morning, brewers and brewerettes. I was doing alright today until a few minutes ago. I was hanging the Christmas stockings for the family and came across Marie's. Her stocking, my stocking, the stockings of the four daughters, and one son-in-law's stocking were all lovingly hand-knit with the owner's name across the top. Hers said "Mommy," and mine says "Daddy." That's when I lost it. Two years ago today, Jesus took hold of her hand and led her out of that painful 5 month journey following two massive strokes. As I have mentioned before, the grief and pain are still there, and always will be there. But the passage of time gives us tools to deal with and manage that grief and pain. So, I can still boldly proclaim A MERRY AND BLESSED CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL ON HBT!

Yeah, I'm sure you will continue to have those moments. But even in your sadness and tears, what do you think of? The fact "Jesus took hold of her hand and led her out of that painful 5 month journey following two massive strokes"........ not 'woe is me', or any of that selfish stuff, but the grace she was shown. You sir, are one hell of a man. I hope if that time comes, I can be half as gracious as you. Merry Christmas and here's hoping for your continued healing in the New Year.

Our celebration of the birth of our Newborn King was awesome! I had 3/4 of my daughters and 2 sons-in-laws here to help me celebrate. The day after Christmas, we all went to see "The Last Jedi." Here is a photo, taken following the movie, of three of my crazy daughters, each wearing something of Star Wars! The youngest, Amanda, is on the left of the photo; Gretchen in the middle is daughter #3, and my second-oldest, Liesl, is on the right, wearing her Ewok scarf!

girls2017.jpg

Over the past few days, I have been having difficulty with HBT, but it is now fixed, so I can reply!!! I'm doing as good as I possibly can. I have learned that one never gets over the death of a dearly loved family member, but one eventually gets "through" that death. I have a long-time friend who lost her husband not too long before Marie died. She and I have talked extensively and we're on the same page. I am looking forward to spending Easter Sunday with my #2 daughter and son-in-law and his family. And I brewed a batch of beer this past week!

I found the following posted on Facebook by a friend. I think it sums up how I'm doing quite well.

"The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not "get over" the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again, but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same nor would you want to."

The "new normal" is different from the "old normal." It isn't better or worse...just different. And sometimes it's awful damn hard to accept the difference.

glenn514:(

Yesterday was Marie's 73rd birthday. To say that I miss her is an enormous understatement. I don't shed as many tears, and I'm 100% confident that she is singing in the angelic chorus, but that hole that her death left in me will never be filled. Happy Birthday, Momma.

Brewers and Brewerettes…

Some of you were right beside me the entire journey that this thread represents, and I still value that. Therefore, let me share something both very joyful and very sad. Last night, I was searching for some small boxes. On my search I found a cardboard shipping box that I hadn't noticed before. I looked in it...and it contained four IDENTICAL sets of the old-fashioned "bubble" lights for Christmas decorating, along with four IDENTICAL sets of replacement bulbs! When I looked at the invoice...still there in the carton...I discovered that Marie had ordered them about seven months BEFORE her first stroke. She never mentioned them to me that I recall, and even had them shipped to our second daughter's work address! I concluded that she did, in fact, want to give one set of lights and one bulb set to EACH of our four daughters! They were ordered in January 2015...so they've been hiding in plain sight for almost three years! So, I plan to wrap them and give them to my daughters this Christmas...FROM MOM!!! I wept joyfully that my girls will receive a Christmas gift from beyond death, but I also wept with sadness because Mom isn't here to give the gifts. I, however, will proudly and tearfully give them in her place.

Back