Your Thoughts/Prayers/Voodoo Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn514

Reaction score
Brother and Sister Brewers...

A week ago Friday, my dearly beloved wife of almost 46 years suffered a massive ischemic stroke in her right cerebral hemisphere. She has been hospitalized since then. This past Monday, she had another hemorrhagic stroke in her left hemisphere. Those two massive strokes plus her other medical conditions [a-fib, kidney transplant, type 2 diabetes] have led her favorite doctors to state that her condition is terminal. Her current vitals are good, but that can change in the blink of an eye.

All four of our daughters are currently here, along with two sons-in-law. We will meet with a representative of a palliative care/hospice care facility tomorrow morning.

While my entire family is a family of faith, I know that not all are. So, I seek your thoughts, prayers, voodoo...or whatever you can do...to give me and my family the strength and compassion to make decisions on my wife's behalf. I thank you in advance.

glenn514:(

Prayers sent for your family's comfort, strength, and unity in these trying times.
May God bless you, your wife, and your family.
2 Corinthians 5.

Brother and Sister Brewers...

A week ago Friday, my dearly beloved wife of almost 46 years suffered a massive ischemic stroke in her right cerebral hemisphere. She has been hospitalized since then. This past Monday, she had another hemorrhagic stroke in her left hemisphere. Those two massive strokes plus her other medical conditions [a-fib, kidney transplant, type 2 diabetes] have led her favorite doctors to state that her condition is terminal. Her current vitals are good, but that can change in the blink of an eye.

All four of our daughters are currently here, along with two sons-in-law. We will meet with a representative of a palliative care/hospice care facility tomorrow morning.

While my entire family is a family of faith, I know that not all are. So, I seek your thoughts, prayers, voodoo...or whatever you can do...to give me and my family the strength and compassion to make decisions on my wife's behalf. I thank you in advance.

Oh, no. I'm shocked and saddened by this turn. She is in my prayers, along with you and your family. Even though there is no "good" outcome for you, I pray that she will be without pain and can have quality time with all of you during this. I send thoughts and prayers for strength for you and your girls. Plus, always praying for a miracle!

My sympathies as well. Stay strong, but dont be afraid to break down when you need to. My best to you and your family.

Well, I went through this with my father. I know that's not the same as a spouse, but I'll give my 2c worth just the same. He had a tumor growing across the frontal lobes that hemorrhaged & caused a stroke. He couldn't speak, poor fellow, just blink for yes or no. He went through hell as a Seabee in the Philippines, Guadalcanal & all those places in WWII, just to be struck down by this. He was my barroom buddy, fishin' & huntin' buddy, co-worker, etc. It was tough, not being able to do anything but stand there & watch him die. Surgery might have saved him, but they couldn't guarantee that he'd get the use of his arms, legs, etc again. He chose not to try, hanging on until after mom's birthday of 10/10 to pass on. It still hurts to think about, but I will tell you that you'll never forget it...it just gets easier to live with. If the Doctor's think surgery can save her, then please try. Otherwise, it comes down to some soul searching. Are we being selfish in trying to keep them on this plane of existence? Or are we really trying to help them live out what should've been a normal life span? Then, of course, how normal will that lifespan be after such a thing? Sometimes, dammit I hate saying this, but just sometimes, it's better to let them go back home to wait for us. Home to our Lord & ancestors. But try to save her, only if she can live a decent life, not connected to those infernal contraptions like Frankenstein. Believe me, it was the hardest thing in the world I've EVER had to do in giving my dear father/friend his dying wish... May God's peace shine on you & yours in this difficult time, my friend. :mug:

Glen, Wishing you and your family the strength to get through this very sad time, and also that your wife not suffer any more pain.

I'll be thinking about you and your family Glenn. There's no easy way to cope with something like this, but I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that you have a whole community of supporters here.

My thoughts are with you and your family Glenn.

I'm sure you know other's better than you know me, but send me a pm if you need to talk.

After meeting with a representative from a palliative/hospice care company yesterday, my daughters and I are in agreement. We will NOT let Marie die of hunger [abdominal feeding "port" to be implanted surgically this morning]. She is a kidney transplant recipient, and we will NOT let her die of kidney rejection [she will continue to receive her anti-rejection meds]. She is a very high risk for another clot/stroke either in the brain or lungs, because she has a-fib and is now off coumadin. Should either of those occur, there is a legally binding "DNR" in place...her desire and ours. Marie seemed more aware yesterday, so one of the daughters spoke "TO" her, explaining what had happened and what we were considering for the future. We have no idea if she actually knew what was being said...but we think she did.

All my thoughts and well wishes are going out to your wife, yourself and your whole family.

Stay with her as much as possible. Talk to her and tell her you love her. I'm sure she understands and is afraid. Hod her hand and squeeze it regularly...

First, let me sincerely and deeply thank all who have chimed in with support, prayers, voodoo and...most of all, genuine love. And I know that prayer support is coming from around the world. My daughters and I definitely appreciate it.

Today was a good day in the grand scheme of things. Marie had an abdominal gastric tube surgically inserted, replacing the nasal gastric tube. No skilled care facility will accept patients with a nasal gastric tube. When we left the hospital today, she was sleeping soundly.

And I appreciate the encouraging words of talking TO her, holding her hand, and expressing our thoughts and love. From what I've seen, she does have some understanding, and is probably scared ****less! Our youngest daughter...the Ph.D...spoke eloquently to Mom yesterday about what happened, and what we plan to do...all spoken in love and concern.

Sunday is our 46th wedding anniversary. I know I will cry quite a bit, but we'll find some way to celebrate, too.

First, let me sincerely and deeply thank all who have chimed in with support, prayers, voodoo and...most of all, genuine love. And I know that prayer support is coming from around the world. My daughters and I definitely appreciate it.

Today was a good day in the grand scheme of things. Marie had an abdominal gastric tube surgically inserted, replacing the nasal gastric tube. No skilled care facility will accept patients with a nasal gastric tube. When we left the hospital today, she was sleeping soundly.

And I appreciate the encouraging words of talking TO her, holding her hand, and expressing our thoughts and love. From what I've seen, she does have some understanding, and is probably scared ****less! Our youngest daughter...the Ph.D...spoke eloquently to Mom yesterday about what happened, and what we plan to do...all spoken in love and concern.

Sunday is our 46th wedding anniversary. I know I will cry quite a bit, but we'll find some way to celebrate, too.

You'll get through it glenn. No matter how logical you try to be about what is happening, the grief is unavoidable. But a time will come when the pain is gone and all that is left are shining memories.

My brothers and I sat with my dad as he passed on in January. We spent several days playing cribbage in his room at the VA, and waiting. It's hard, I know, and awful and ugly.

Little can be said over a forum like this. For the most part we only "know" each other via some posts. But that still lets one get a feel for the regulars, are they guy/gals you would want to spend a day with, drink a beer with, or forum is enough. You are definitely a spend some time and drink a beer with guy. I wish you Gods peace during this time. May you and your family feels Gods hand.

We will be thinking about you on Sunday, especially.

My words are woefully inadequate, but Im keeping you both in my thoughts. So sorry this is happening to all of you.

This is breaking my heart. I will pray for you and you family. May you find the strength and support you need to make it through the this difficult time. Home brewers and a strange breed, but loyal none the less.

Sending love and positive thoughts to you and your family. Will be thinking of you and your wife this Sunday, and will be sure to raise a glass to you both.

Marie continues to rest comfortably. She is tolerating the new abdominal feeding tube extremely well, and was very responsive this morning.

Since her vitals are good, she will probably be released from the hospital tomorrow. Our youngest daughter [the Ph.D kid] and I visited two care facilities, and agreed on our selection. At the facility, she will be in an isolation room, since she still has a digestive infection. However...with a key fob, I will have 24/7 access for visits!!!

I have literally been overwhelmed by the concern this entire board has shown. Please continue to send good thought, prayers, voodoo, sacrificed chicken parts or whatever! Your support gives me the strength to do what I have to do.

Prayers from our family to yours. Be strong and keep your faith. God will make the right choice but may not be the easiest one......

Back