Your favorite non-yeast forward Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Bird

Reaction score
The title says it all. I am not well versed in Belgians and would like some suggestions of recipes or commercial beer to look for in the specialty beverage store. Something medium body without strong yeast character.

Seems a bit strange to me... Belgians are known for yeast character, take that away and you've got American or brittish styles...

I guess you could do belgian wit. Or if you can handle some phenolics/esters go for a Belgian golden strong.

Seems a bit strange to me... Belgians are known for yeast character, take that away and you've got American or brittish styles...

I guess you could do belgian wit. Or if you can handle some phenolics/esters go for a Belgian golden strong.
Which makes s-04 a good candidate :)
Works well at warmer temperatures, produces slightly fruity taste, and has a pretty good attenuation. It drops clear after a while and won't produce a yeasty taste.
It wouldn't be called Belgian of course, but it is a close match if fermented warm.

I think a Belgian blond or belgian pale ale can be made successfully (i.e. tasty) without *too much* yeast character.

Use the advised Belgian strain from your recipe pitching plenty of healthy yeast using a starter.

Mind your ferment temps; rising from perhaps 60F up to 77F by the end of week one. Then lower it and let it relax for another week at 67F and package.

If you are doing the blond, make a point of nailing your water profile and use the highest quality malts you can find. Not a lot of places to hide a flaw if you're backing off on yeast character.

For the pale ale, if you're so inclined, those actually turn out very nicely with American hops (altho not truly to style). Stone Cali-Belgique is a good commercial example.

As for yeast recommendations, there are many good dry choices, but tend to give a strong character.

For a mild character, I'd look at some of the White Labs products such as WLP575.

I think this is a contradiction in terms. Belgians are by definition yeast-forward.

That said, you can certainly reduce the yeast impact by fermenting at lower temps. Though you might wind up with a hefe flavor profile at those temps.

If you don't like the Belgian yeast profile, I'd look to another style.

I suppose it would be better to ask which Belgian beers have a milder yeast forward profile. I would like to try some beers to see what I like. Just not a fan of the super strong yeast profile, not looking for no yeast profile.

But seriously, if you want "Belgian" beer that is something other than lager made in Belgium, you're gonna have yeast-forward.

As others have said, Wit would probably be the best bet. Blue Moon is easy to find, cheap, and very clean as far as Belgian styles are concerned. Hoegaarden is a much better beer, a FAR better Wit though with more character, and almost as easy to find.

A Belgian Blonde/Pale like Palm is also a good bet.

Forgot about witbiers. Those are pretty mellow. Leffe blonde is a really good beer. Houblon is also a favorite.

Has anyone mentioned Leffe yet? ;) You also might try New Belgium "Trippel".

Yesterday I bought a growler of a local brewery's Belgian pale ale that i really like but don't buy very often; it's kind of like a tripel but only 7% ABV instead of maybe 9%.

Are you ultimately wanting to brew something? You might start with an English or American pale ale recipe, and add about 20% sugar to boost the ABV and dry it out a little. Use noble hops (Hallertau, Saaz, Tettnanger, etc) and either T-58 or S-04 yeast. Mt Hood would be a good substitute American hops. It won't be Belgian, but it will be Belgian-ish with some yeast character but not a huge amount. And it'll be pretty cheap to brew.

Blue Moon isn't remotely "Belgian", ffs. And Stella Artois?? :drunk:
Clearly the very topic itself is driving people insane...

Cheers! ;)
How else would one deal with an oxymoron like "Belgian beer without yeast character"? Not all of us were programmed with paradox-absorbing crumple zones.

Guys, I'm looking for an IPA without any hop flavor.
Actually, that would be the 19th century original by the time it reached the consumer, to a tee. Fizzy, dry, crystalline, alcohol water with a litlle Brett funk. But that would be another uncivil theread entirely.

https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-belgian-pale-ale/

Here is a good article for Formulating a Belgian Pale Ale which should fit your criterial.

I would also look for Trappist Single recipes. This is a style that usually you can’t find in a store.

Also look for Belgian Breweries from the Western part of Belgium. They tend to be from the Flemish part of Belgium and “usually” their beers are not as phenolic.

Brugse Zot from De Halve Maan is another beer that may meet your criteria.

Ferment a Belgian pale at the lowest temp range listed with a yeast like Chimay or Westmalle. Wyeast and Whitelabs have those yeasts or culture some Allagash yeast out of fresh pack of White.

@Craig Bird You might find some of the information in this thread useful. Based on post #8 I went with WLP 500 in the low to mid 60s and came out with a nice malty dubble with Belgian character but not in your face or overwhelming. At 8 months old it is pretty darn good right now and I am not a big Belgian fan.

Belgian yeast profiles are not the only defining feature that makes a beer Belgian, it's being brewed in Belgium. De Koninck and De Ranke XX Bitter are good examples of Belgian beers that are not particularly yeast forward. That being said, a Belgian Pale Ale fermented with Wyeast 3522 fermented at restrained temperatures might be a good bet for what you want.

Back