Your Dream Brew Pub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember those really old pirate movies from the 30's? I'd want a bar that looks like the inside of the capt's quarters. Darkish, lots of wood, slightly nautical in theme.

The usual beers and such. I'd have a good lambic/sour beer selection for sure.

Specialize in french fries. Chili, bacon, loaded, cheesy etc. That and frozen pizza are your only choices for food.

Top flight fooseball tables, darts, good music at a reasonable volume (lots of Flogging Molly, The Tossers, Dubliners, Dropkick etc) and good looking female bartenders who are at the least certified beer servers via cicerone program. Was in a "beer bar" last week and none of the bartenders could tell me a dang thing about the beers I was trying. Well he did manage to tell me one was "from Flanders" - that's all he knew.

I'd have at least 2 beers on cask and rotate styles as much as possible.

I'd have a bar dog for sure too. Probably a yellow lab.

I'm picturing a tired old yellow lab with only 3 legs and wearing a bandana.

That and I'm pretty sure your bar is The Goonies, which is awesome.

Ah my favourite topic - I manage a pub for a local brewery but have no real say in the direction we take, thus I have a laundry list of changes that I would like to see made to have the perfect pub.

1. No children. Children do not belong in pubs. Leave your brats locked in the cellar at home so you can take your time and enjoy your beer without being disturbed.

2. Dogs always welcome and dog treats available for free from the bar. This was the case at a pub I used to work at and it became good fun watching people trying to walk their dogs past the pub and being dragged in...

3. Three mainstay cask ale house beers, one ~4% hoppy light session beer, one ~4.5 amber or brown and one IPA at about 5.5%. There would always be a rotating dark beer on offer and 2 other house beers, as well as 2 pumps dedicated to brewswaps with other local breweries.

4. Rotating continental lagers and ales on keg

5. A large quantity of bottled beers from around the world

6. A good quality non carbed scrumpy cider on handpull, probably rotating but then again I've heard good things about Edworts apfelwein...

7 Its been said before but knowledgable and friendly barstaff - engaging with customers means that they will come back again. Simple as that.

8. Live music 2 nights a week, regular quiznights with a gallon of beer for the winners (in token form so they can come back and redeem it whenever they want), free jukebox with quality music on it, board games available on request and a pool table

9. Open fires for winter

10. No proper food - the hoops you have to jump through for the health inspectors are ridiculous and make it difficult to run a proper business. A fine array of snack foods will be available all day, olives in a jar behind the bar, nuts of varying types, etc etc

11. No tvs or quiz machines. Flashing lights distract people from the delicious beer.

I could go on...

Some ideas on this thread sound really good!

In addition to the ones I've heard, I'd add:

1. Pizza dough made with spent grains from certain batches. And the pizza would be paired with those batches of beer.

2. Homebrew classes and tours of the brewery (assuming brewery is attached to pub).

3. A section for comfortable chairs.

4. I'd look into reserving a tap that could be supplied by other local homebrewers. Assuming it could be legit, they'd sell me a batch, and I'd put it on tap for them.

as all of you i have drempt of having my own brew pub or just a tasting room. I thought about having a "customer tap". Maybe once a month or every 3 months let a customer come up with his/her own recipe, brew a 15 gallon batch with you....

I have a entire journal dedicated to the idea. I include recipes (beer and food), decor ideas, musical thoughts, gaming, etc.....

A few thoughts, can't give away the house

1) Decor would be filled with nostalgia. Not TGI-McFunsters, but old time photos of the area. Dark woods, leather, comfortable chairs & sofas, pub tables.

2) Games: shuffle board, darts, chess table. Also a small library with just a bunch of random books. Would actually ask the patrons to contribute to the library.

3) Taps would include the artisanal house taps, brewers whim, and guest tap for another regional small brewery (would rotate this). Also would have a monthly patron choice tap. Would let the patrons vote (via social media) on a list of recipes, and we would brew that small batch for release the next month. Also would have a small bottle run if the brew was popular, and let the patrons name their beer.

4) Food would be provided via food truck (assuming my area has them) which would rotate a few nights a week. We would also have a light menu of house items, which would be brought in daily (not prepared on site). Would have a large smoker for summer time BBQ (my other gastro passion).

5) Music would consist of a variety of genres, all played at reasonable volume. Would have summer time accoustic nights on the patio as well as a possible open mic night. Also I am going to have to steal the iPod DJ night idea, that would be fun.

6) There would be a large patio, which was accessed via large barn doors for an open air atmosphere in the nice weather months. There would also be a couple fire pits on the patio, as I really enjoy a cool fall/mild winter evening next to a fire pit with a nice ale.

7) Finally, kick ass swag. T's, hats, hoodies, barware, stickers, tackers, posters, etc. I am really disappointed when a brewery doesn't have any good swag. Give me something to help advertise your beer.

Well that's a glimpse into my dream, hope you all will pay us a visit when it is a reality.

Excellent music, No cover bands, One section for Ale's, One Section for Lagers, Stickers on the bottom of each beer with poker cards where you can optionally play a hand of texas holdem vs. the house winning small gifts such as coasters, shirts, a free beer, or other things like that. Brewing classes seems good. Good art on the walls, selling quality cigars and pipe tobacco, heavily tattooed waitresses, football only on big game nights, NO UFC fights, toplessness would not be frowned upon, proper drinkware to suit every type beer served, no commercial beer or wine sold, a good steak selection with suggested beers on the menu. I could go on for days with ideas.

My dream is to one day own a bakery/cafe that also has 5 or 6 in-house taps. We'd serve coffee, tea, baked goods (pies, baguettes, cookies, muffins, etc.), soups, salads and house-made beers, largely of the Belgian-style variety. I'd like it to be very open, well-lit, and without televisions and loud music. Someplace where you could bring your family if you wanted. And most of the food would be seasonal--a gazpacho with a spicy saison in the summer, a wit and a lemon poppyseed muffin in the spring, a dubbel with pecan pie in the fall, and for the winter a hearty stew with a dessert of a Gulden Draak clone.

My ideal brewpub would feature a simple menu based on locally raised meat, cheeses and vegetables.

Burgers would feature only homemade sweet rolls...Yes homemade...If a customer walked into my pub and had to pay 12-15$ for a burger they'd get the best and nothing but the absolute best.

Here in California there are brewpubs that get the food straight off the Cisco truck but charge a premium. That is not acceptable to me considering that there are alternatives that cost the same or only 5-10 percent more...

I think a customer is going to pay for quality knowing where it came from. Second...My ideal brew pub has each staff member trained on beer. I don't believe in the Cicerone protocol. I also don't believe in the BJCP protocol. They must know the beer that they have on tap. All people pouring pints have tasted every beer. No excuses.

The customer no matter how disagreeable to my personal palette is always right. If I ask a customer what beer they like and they say Budweiser...

I will give them a bottle of good Czech lager. The only way for a pub to truly survive is local patrons and not tourists.

I would offer quarterly beer tasting and food pairing parties. I mean the event sells out and the pub is closed for ticket holders. Giving back to the customers and taking their money shouldn't be a rip off.

I would not offer happy hour on any beers or cater to any distributor pushing the flavor of the month beer. I would offer the best beer at the lowest possible markup.

My pub would not have a single television for sporting events. The pub is a community hall and intended to keep locals informed. Those wishing to see the big game can go drink Budlight elsewhere.

My pub would feature local art on the walls and sculptures...It would also welcome the local city council to host discussions of future proposals. What better way to get people together than talking about the community in a pub? You can't get people concerned with everyday local politics unless the environment has beer and burgers...:)

If my pub had brewing facilities it would brew unconventional beers. Most pubs simply buy beer from distributors. I would select a variety of beers with greatly contrasting profiles from the distributor and the smallest nano scale operations in the country.

I would also demand the distributor clean the tap lines religiously. I'm a firm believe that if happy hour offers cheap food the patrons will keep drinking good beer. Thus happy hour is for food not beer. You can't discount good craft beer and insult the brewery.

I would keep a lesser beer such as Pabst or Budweiser on tap at all times and sell it at cost plus 25 cents profit. I think this would greatly increase chances of redneck sports loving philistines to come and buy more food.

Brew pubs are great...but for me being a California resident I have standards. In this state we have a great agricultural backbone so it should be the supplier to every fine pub. I find it appalling that going out to the pub costs real money for real crappy quality food.

I'm surprised at how many people are against having a sports element.

My cousin and I are seriously considering a BBQ brewpub sports bar. For me, the sports element is non-negotiable: it must be there. He's a professional smoker/BBQ'er already, so that's going to be an easy transition. I just have to decide when/if I'm ready to brew "professionally".

Dogs would have to be welcome from say 1100 till 1700 (11:00 am to 5 pm).

Violates health code... only medically-necessary dogs are exempt.

Edit: I'm only speaking from experiences in the state of CA. Local listings may vary. ;)

The only thing I've thought of with respect to my dream pub is food and beer:

Food: artisanal brick fired pizzas. Locally sourced ingredients as much as reasonably possible. Only 6 or so choices of topping combinations (maybe 3-4 toppings max) and nothing is customizable. The pizzas are great. No ordering the #3 without the caramelized onions, sorry. Only personal sized pies -- nothing jumbo. Maybe some kind of pizza-and-a-pint combo deal that saves a buck fifty.

Beer: handful of ales, west coast/American stuff being the emphasis with a rotating Belgian tap. Guest taps. A solid bottle collection of good/shareable things for special tastes.

Aside from that? I have no idea.

OldWorld said:
My ideal brewpub would feature a simple menu based on locally raised meat, cheeses and vegetables.

Burgers would feature only homemade sweet rolls...Yes homemade...If a customer walked into my pub and had to pay 12-15$ for a burger they'd get the best and nothing but the absolute best.

Here in California there are brewpubs that get the food straight off the Cisco truck but charge a premium. That is not acceptable to me considering that there are alternatives that cost the same or only 5-10 percent more...

I think a customer is going to pay for quality knowing where it came from. Second...My ideal brew pub has each staff member trained on beer. I don't believe in the Cicerone protocol. I also don't believe in the BJCP protocol. They must know the beer that they have on tap. All people pouring pints have tasted every beer. No excuses.

The customer no matter how disagreeable to my personal palette is always right. If I ask a customer what beer they like and they say Budweiser...

I will give them a bottle of good Czech lager. The only way for a pub to truly survive is local patrons and not tourists.

I would offer quarterly beer tasting and food pairing parties. I mean the event sells out and the pub is closed for ticket holders. Giving back to the customers and taking their money shouldn't be a rip off.

I would not offer happy hour on any beers or cater to any distributor pushing the flavor of the month beer. I would offer the best beer at the lowest possible markup.

My pub would not have a single television for sporting events. The pub is a community hall and intended to keep locals informed. Those wishing to see the big game can go drink Budlight elsewhere.

My pub would feature local art on the walls and sculptures...It would also welcome the local city council to host discussions of future proposals. What better way to get people together than talking about the community in a pub? You can't get people concerned with everyday local politics unless the environment has beer and burgers...:)

If my pub had brewing facilities it would brew unconventional beers. Most pubs simply buy beer from distributors. I would select a variety of beers with greatly contrasting profiles from the distributor and the smallest nano scale operations in the country.

I would also demand the distributor clean the tap lines religiously. I'm a firm believe that if happy hour offers cheap food the patrons will keep drinking good beer. Thus happy hour is for food not beer. You can't discount good craft beer and insult the brewery.

I would keep a lesser beer such as Pabst or Budweiser on tap at all times and sell it at cost plus 25 cents profit. I think this would greatly increase chances of redneck sports loving philistines to come and buy more food.

Brew pubs are great...but for me being a California resident I have standards. In this state we have a great agricultural backbone so it should be the supplier to every fine pub. I find it appalling that going out to the pub costs real money for real crappy quality food.

...you gotta name you pub Manifesto, based on this post alone!

This might be more of a pet peeve of mine but

Consistently high quality food and consistently high quality service.

It seems like too many times these two things fluctuate wildly from one day to the next.

Even the spent grain dog biscuits would have to be awesome to be served to our k-9 guests

Back