You may cringe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkw1000

Reaction score
Now I realize I will get some harsh comments here, but I'm going to ask anyway. I home brew beer and keg my beer. My wife just bought me a new triple tower kegerator for my birthday. I want to have a tap of the wimpy American lager for her. To do this I need to have a six barrel along with my homebrew in the kegerator (holds 3). I don't feel like spending a small fortune on a six barrel and thought I could buy a full-size keg and put it in the outdoor refrigerator. Could I then fill up a corny and put it in the new kegerator under CO2 and just refill the corny when it empties. This is a significant savings. Of course proper sanitation would occur. If this is possible any tips or tricks are welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

$50 for a sixth or $60 for a full keg (3 times more).

Sure, do some searching on keg to keg transfer. You just hook the output of the sanke keg to a liquid corny keg connector. Similar to this video (at around the 2:45 mark it gets to the transferring), but going from a sanke keg to a corny keg.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUTilS4YJO8[/ame]

I know there are methods for hooking the outlet of one keg to the outlet of an empty keg under pressure, and then slowly releasing the pressure in the empty keg to transfer beer slowly from one to the other. I've heard of people doing that with a filter in between two cornies to filter their beer so I'm sure it would work to transfer your American Lager.

I won't make a harsh comment, but why not brew a beer she'd like rather than buying some BMC?

People jumper corny kegs so I don't see why you can't do it with a sankey. Just make a jumper that has a sankey out connection and put the other side to the corny out connection so it fills through the dip tube. Hook up c02 to the sankey at low pressure and slowly transfer your beer.

I don't see why it couldn't be done. I would imagine the store bought keg should stay on co2 since you will be creating head space in the keg as it empties. Since you will need a sanke coupler to get the co2 in you can run the beverage out line to a ball lock coupler and connect it to the beverage out on the corny keg. Pull the pressure release and fill away. So you will need :
Co2 tank
Regulator
Sanke coupler
Bev line
Ball lock liquid coupler

Cheers and good luck

Try brewing Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde or Cream of Three Crops. Both go over extremely well with American lager drinkers and it would be cheaper than getting commercial kegs.

Oh wow, that keg transfer video was perfect. I get it now. I also have all the equipment except an extra homebrew out tap, which is cheap. Thanks!

Agree on the comment why not homebrew something she likes. Baby steps and u need to get better than a recipe follower. I'm making progress.

I'll have to try those recipe's. Are they good with a non refrigeration fermentation yeast?

Try brewing Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde or Cream of Three Crops. Both go over extremely well with American lager drinkers and it would be cheaper than getting commercial kegs.

^^^this! Then she can ease into non crappy beer!

Unlike well-made craft beer and homebrew, mass-produced American-style lagers have, to me, always tasted pretty much the same out of a bottle/can as they do coming from a tap.

Perhaps you can get by continuing to get her that sort of beer in 30-packs until she develops a taste for the good stuff.

Unlike well-made craft beer and homebrew, mass-produced American-style lagers have, to me, always tasted pretty much the same out of a bottle/can as they do coming from a tap.

Perhaps you can get by continuing to get her that sort of beer in 30-packs until she develops a taste for the good stuff.

Taste aside, it's a lot cheaper to buy BMC stuff in half-barrels than it is in 30 packs. A 30 pack is going to run you close to $20 nowadays. When you can pay $60 for a half barrel, you're coming out way ahead.

To answer the question about yeasts. The Kolsch yeast should be fermented a bit cooler (60s). The cream ale yeast can go at cool basement temps.

Back