You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro tip from a farmer with 45 years of experience-don’t buy a farm and expect to have a lot of free time unless you don’t plan to keep the farm very long. :cool:

The only reason I can take the time to brew pretty much whenever I want to is that I have a 45 year old son and a 21 year old grandson to do the heavy lifting. I only have to keep the books and pay the bills-things I can actually do while I’m brewing. :D
Grew up in a small town and worked on local farms for some of my teenage years. I learned at least two things. One farmers must really love farming because that is all they do with their lives at least 15 hours 6 days a week, Sunday is a little shorter due to church. Two there has to be an easier way to make a living and I was right there is.

Grew up in a small town and worked on local farms for some of my teenage years. I learned at least two things. One farmers must really love farming because that is all they do with their lives at least 15 hours 6 days a week, Sunday is a little shorter due to church. Two there has to be an easier way to make a living and I was right there is.
My dad always said, "I wouldn't take a job shoveling s**t for another man, but I'd do it without thinking twice working for myself".

Except a real swede uses .308 and 6.5x55mm.

ahh i remember when i still had my 300 Winchester, and how i despised the 7mm Remington crowd....it was a long time ago, all i remember is we both wore belts....

unfortanly, i got in trouble, had to go semi vegan, and am only allowed to hunt beans, and peas now ;) lol

and to keep it what makes it on topic, it was my recovery plan from amphetamines, LOTS of homebrew! and i know i'm a homebrewer because i only got screwed by dope cooks for 6-7 months, and now after 17 years i'm still holding my head high(?) drinking homebrew!

ahh i remember when i still had my 300 Winchester, and how i despised the 7mm Remington crowd....it was a long time ago, all i remember is we both wore belts....

unfortanly, i got in trouble, had to go semi vegan, and am only allowed to hunt beans, and peas now ;) lol

and to keep it what makes it on topic, it was my recovery plan from amphetamines, LOTS of homebrew! and i know i'm a homebrewer because i only got screwed by dope cooks for 6-7 months, and now after 17 years i'm still holding my head high(?) drinking homebrew!
I was messing with mostly coke in my youth, but did some amphetamines, and benzodiapines was a staple apart from copiuos amounts of weed. I only got a minor possesion fine out of it though when me and a buddy got caught while walking around high as kites on xanax.
I got lucky though, if they would have suspected any reason to get a warrant they would have found like 30 xtc pills, half a hektogram of weed and about 8000 bucks I was holding for a buddy I helped deal various contraband. Would probably had given me a couple years state paid vacation.
Long time ago now though so getting a hunters permit and weapons license aint any problem.

oh damn, i remember back in 2002 or so, when i could get a scrip over the internet...tried xanax...blacked out for 2 days, and woke up with a stolen keg!

i don't think i really want to know what i was doing, or having done to me....

I apologize if this was already mentioned

Not a problem! it's actually back on topic, but you know reading books isn't much better then watching a history channel documentary! you need to get some beer brewed! ;) :mug:

you know you're an alcoholic/homebrewer, when you're down to your last keg of beer...worried it's going to kick before days end, been waiting for days for your last batch to hit 1.000, give up and at least want it cold to drink. end up burst carbing while it's still at 80f, and GET Blisters on your hand from so vigously shaking it to get it to take 1.2ozs of co2! just because you don't want to go "Running with the devil" and have to buy Miller!

When you get to test a wireless thermometer from InkBird on HBT.. and you use the refund to pay Yakima for the 2 Lbs of hops :rock:

Also.. I'm 300+ bottles in house, clean and ready for the "bottle shortage" to strike. I see all of those cans out there. I might even bottle the 90 shilling I have coming up .... "might"

I think my keg just laughed out loud

When you haul about a dozen cases of bottles to the dumpster, because you started kegging, but save the cardboard six pack holders to decorate the wall in your brewery.
D5445355-E4EC-405F-9E95-D7B65CF8ADBB.jpeg

At one time I had 20 cases of long necks. When I switched to kegging I couldn't find anyone to take them - gratis even. And they were cleaned, sanitized, bagged and boxed even. Still can't believe I ended up dumping them in the recycle bin...

Cheers! :(
I keg condition my beers so a bottle about 12 each time and keg the rest. The bottles become test articles, hand outs to friends and entries into competitions. I haven't been too successful at force carbonation.

You know you're a (slightly obsessed with competitions) homebrewer, when you spend at least 30 minutes in a vociferously audible argument with yourself about the pros/cons of entering a certain beer into either the Kolsch or Blonde class...with much flipping through the well-worn 2015 BJCP Guidelines that live on the side of my fridge, much tasting, and more flipping, and more tasting, until you finally reach the conclusion that yes, it needs to go in the Kolsch class. And then realizing I don't have enough clean empty bottles for it.

And you can store a lot of grain and gear in that now-empty room.

I have threatened them with turning their bedroom into a dedicated brewing room/taproom, since it's off the kitchen and knocking out the wall to create a bar with taps in front and brewing in back is distinctly possible.

I have threatened them with turning their bedroom into a dedicated brewing room/taproom, since it's off the kitchen and knocking out the wall to create a bar with taps in front and brewing in back is distinctly possible.

But don't follow through on that threat until they have moved out (and you put a lock on the door), lest you find your taproom depleted.

Agree, if I could watch this real time during the whole fermentation it would be nice. This video is the actual natural circulation speed. No video magic. Kveik Voss is amazing stuff.

Last edited:
get more empty bottles

submit as both

You know you're a (slightly obsessed with competitions) homebrewer, when you spend at least 30 minutes in a vociferously audible argument with yourself about the pros/cons of entering a certain beer into either the Kolsch or Blonde class...with much flipping through the well-worn 2015 BJCP Guidelines that live on the side of my fridge, much tasting, and more flipping, and more tasting, until you finally reach the conclusion that yes, it needs to go in the Kolsch class. And then realizing I don't have enough clean empty bottles for it.

Back