You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worst part about it is that it fell on the ball valve and the weight of the water and grain cracked the mashtun and it wouldnt hold a seal any longer. Lol a headache and $80 loss in total. But On the bright side, my son was with me in the garage when it happened and didn’t get hurt or burnt so tht was a blessing
Yikes... yeah, that could have been ugly. Glad it was just a mess. Time for one of those water heater support tables that can take the weight.

Worst part about it is that it fell on the ball valve and the weight of the water and grain cracked the mashtun and it wouldnt hold a seal any longer. Lol a headache and $80 loss in total. But On the bright side, my son was with me in the garage when it happened and didn’t get hurt or burnt so tht was a blessing
Terrible accident and I'm glad no one was hurt . . . other than the mashtun. I hope your son didn't learn any new words.

When your working in a foreign country for a year that outlaws alcohol, yet you still spend all your free time on brewing sites, and designing beer recipes that your going to try when your year is up and your back home.

Isn't that exactly why we all learned the craft? ...the apocalypse, you're stranded on a deserted island... or you're stuck in a Muslim country?

when you're not brewing you're thinking about brewing.

or reading about brewing. or posting about brewing. or listening to podcasts or watching videos about brewing. or thinking about reading or posting or listening to podcasts or watching videos about brewing,

& refuse to call it an obsession

When you have a batch fermenting in th FC and the kreuzen has recently dropped, you raised up the temp a bit. And now you have to constantly remind yourself that no, you can't " take a FG reading" as an excuse to taste it, you have to wait a couple of days.
Or that what you look forward to the most when it is done and bottled, is not that you will have hopefully yummy beer to drink, it's that you can brew another batch.
Considering, even though you have a 1.5 year old and a pregnant wife, that since you usually brew on weekends, and bottle the weekend 2 weeks after, you could bottle on friday and brew on saturday so as to not waste precious weekends on not brewing.
Considering getting another fridge FC and fermenting batches with one week between them, so that every weekend is brew weekend!

Last edited:
When you have developed your own technique for brewing black tea, namely:
- toss the tea loose in a glass pitcher (please do NOT bag those tea leaves, ever!! They MUST go in commando)
- pour boiling water on top of them
- wait a couple of minutes while occasionally stirring (= tea-stand)
- whirlpool the hell out of it, wait another couple of minutes for a nice, beautiful tea cone to form.
- carefully pour the now crystal clear tea in a cup, leaving the gunk behind.

when you realize you'll never have any friends, because they all drink BMC...and the only people you can get along with are emojied as :people: lol :mug:

9and still lost in traslation, aparently)

On a related note: when you already have PLENTY of bottles, but friends and family are still saving them for you, and you can't turn them down.

I have so much bottle regret. 3 or 4 years ago I had a fleet of a couple hundred, all matching, in 6pack boxes from a work open house that served a local craft brewery all night. And, 2 years ago when I switch to kegging, thought, nah, I'll never need that many again. Told my dad he could get rid of them (they were taking up space in his garage).

Now, I've been brewing up a huge amount, and giving it away to family, but I've been forced to BUY bottles from the homebrew shop! Went looking to pick up a few 6 packs of craft to help the cause, and EVERYTHING was in cans, or 650ml bottles.

You don't know what you got till it's gone....

I have so much bottle regret. 3 or 4 years ago I had a fleet of a couple hundred, all matching, in 6pack boxes from a work open house that served a local craft brewery all night. And, 2 years ago when I switch to kegging, thought, nah, I'll never need that many again. Told my dad he could get rid of them (they were taking up space in his garage).

Now, I've been brewing up a huge amount, and giving it away to family, but I've been forced to BUY bottles from the homebrew shop! Went looking to pick up a few 6 packs of craft to help the cause, and EVERYTHING was in cans, or 650ml bottles.

You don't know what you got till it's gone....
I exclusively keg beer and when I give some away I like to use 22oz bottles. It just seems more substantial than 12oz bottles

I totally agree when it's single or a couple bottles. But I've been giving cases to my uncles lately.

When you’re “working from home” and designing recipes and cleaning and sanitizing bottles in between phone calls.

too relatable, recipe #1 when i worked from home. called working from home sober.

i had 10% cider and 10% mead on tap. something had to give.

Another bottle-related one; when you gauge how much you like your friends by how quickly they return bottles to you. Still waiting on a couple of pretty green grolsch bottles that haven't come home yet...someone's off the Xmas card list.

i tell everyone, if i don't get the bottle back no more beer i like to say if it comes back clean bonus points.

i washed my dishes, and i put my fermentor in the fridge to chill down for carbing.....

and since this is just a token nod post to the thread, i'm going to get my pot out. fill it with strike water. and mill my grain for tomorrow morning just so i can't shrug it off, and end up drinking warm flat beer out of the fermenter again....

should be an interesting morning, like someone knew what i wanted to do!

You scour classified ads each day, looking for bargain kegs, brewpots, CO2 cylinders, crown cappers, and the like... not because you need them now, but for your eventual brewery expansion, some day in the foreseeable future.

f you for making me think how i need a new co2 cylinder and regulator so i can have a second kegerator next to my bed! :mug:

Craigslist bruh... somebody out there is getting rid of something good... really cheap.

maybe, picked up the short throw projector for full bed sized screen for $80, the welding shop wants $110 for a 5lb tank, and more beer wants ~$140 for a dual reg, reg.....i'll know i'm a homebrewer when i'm laying in bed, with a 110" screen that fills the bed, with a SECOND kegerator, and just have to lean over to fill a glass, while watching TV.....right now i just feel like a pretender, i just make barley tea, and have to walk to the kitchen to get another glass...what a chore...

...the welding shop wants $110 for a 5lb tank, ...

Not the greatest deal, but saves you $35...
Screenshot_20210320-011216_Chrome.jpg

Back