You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I've been on Facebook for 8 years now and hbtalk for 2.5. I've definitely put more time and content into this site than Facebook.

When you're a single guy but you have a 2 bedroom/2 bath apt so you have somewhere to ferment and store all your gear. Also, when you have so much beer in your fridge there's only enough room left for condiments.

You know, I've been on Facebook for 8 years now and hbtalk for 2.5. I've definitely put more time and content into this site than Facebook.

I would never even consider paying for facebook but every year i am torn as to whether I should pay for a lifetime membership here. :)

image-1607854096.jpg

When your og reading from the cider turns into a yeast starter for pizza dough ....with the last brews grains!

What's wrong with twist offs? I prefer them. As long as you invest in a bench capper, they're better than non-twist offs IMO. I've bottled thousands of twist off bottles without a single problem.

Sierras are pop-top in my neck of the woods. But you know you're a homebrewer when you are livid about the glue they use taking forever to remove with oxyclean.

When all you can think about when you're hungover is sobering up enough to stomach a homebrew later

QuercusMax said:
You buy commercial beer just to get more bottles. Sorry, Sierra Nevada, if only you wouldn't use twistoffs!

You have Sierra from the 90s there? Maybe it hasn't been 15 years, but it's been years since Sierra stopped using twist offs. It took me years to quit trying to twist off the pry caps when they switched.

amcgowen said:
When all you can think about when you're hungover is sobering up enough to stomach a homebrew later

I don't think that means you're a homebrewer, but if it happens a lot, it could mean you have a problem.

What's wrong with twist offs? I prefer them. As long as you invest in a bench capper, they're better than non-twist offs IMO. I've bottled thousands of twist off bottles without a single problem.

As someone with a bench capper I get why they're not much of a problem, but why exactly do you think they're "better"?

As someone with a bench capper I get why they're not much of a problem, but why exactly do you think they're "better"?

I suppose "better" was the wrong choice of words. They're equal to would be more accurate I suppose. What I should have said is that I prefer them, because I like twisting off the tops as opposed to prying them off. It's more convenient. However, it's a moot point since I started using easy-cap Grolsch style bottles anyway. I just think a lot of Homebrewers have an irrational fear of twist-offs. They're like the muslims of the beer world! :p haha

When you have a dream that your mash ph was too high and you didn't have anything to lower it and then wake up and say to yourself thank god it was only a dream. Yeah, that was last night.

This is better than facebook. No tons of pic posts by The God Squad. Nothin wrong with God,mind you. but the whole main page on facebook is mainly those. I'm there for family,not reform or whatever. I like it here...:ban:

Actually IMO it is more the lack of cat pictures. The only cat pictures you get on here is when they get in the way of the beer pron. I am surprised people haven't started considering utilizing the plethora of internet cats for dry catting in place of the more expensive bears.

Yeah,there's alot of cats too. But religious stuff is abou all some folks post on there. Religion is good,but many of us go on there to connect with family on everyday or special stuff mostly.

Agreed. FB is my evite. That is all I use it for, and as way of keeping in touch with friends I don't talk with much. Haven't logged in in a couple months myself.

I don't like Facebook. I just recently made an account, though, because it seems like so many companies are using it to post the most up to date information. The kind of stuff they don't update constantly on their websites. I got tired of it and joined only for that purpose. I didn't even use my actual name.

Yeah,HBt,beer forums,DFH,etc use facebook. So it's easy to check out the latest on them there. You know you're a home brewer when...!

I don't like Facebook. I just recently made an account, though, because it seems like so many companies are using it to post the most up to date information. The kind of stuff they don't update constantly on their websites. I got tired of it and joined only for that purpose. I didn't even use my actual name.

I really hate how I have had to get onto Facebook just to find a stores hours just because their website is so crappy and did not even include hours.

You look at the background of the lab scenes in Big Bang Theory and say to yourself, "Hey ... Is that a corny keg?"

I suppose "better" was the wrong choice of words. They're equal to would be more accurate I suppose. What I should have said is that I prefer them, because I like twisting off the tops as opposed to prying them off. It's more convenient. However, it's a moot point since I started using easy-cap Grolsch style bottles anyway. I just think a lot of Homebrewers have an irrational fear of twist-offs. They're like the muslims of the beer world! :p haha
I have the capper with the two handles that sits on top of the bottle. The handles won't go though a complete motion on a twist off. If I don't apply enough pressure, the bottle won't seal. If I apply to much I've got broken glass all over, ruined brew, and possibly cuts.

Generally, I'm pretty loaded by the time I finish bottling. So, I'd rather have a bottle that I don't have to worry about breaking with my capper.

If you've got a bench capper, have fun.

When you pay more for the nostalgia soda so you can reuse the bottles.

You know you're a homebrewer 1* when every time you drink one of your creations you dream of one day owning a brewery..... 2* when you give out your brew to friends and family as precious gifts lol

unionrdr said:
When you worry about how the next version of an experimental beer will come out...

Before the current experimental batch is even done fermenting.

When you're watching Dexter and wonder if making a kill room to brew in to keep everything sanitary would be easier than dealing with all the surfaces in the tiny room you call a kitchen in your condo.

bwarbiany said:
You see something about the TV show Survivor being filmed in "Caramoan"...

...and your first thought is that it sounds like a new crystal malt.

Or, "I wonder what hops would grow there?"

You know your a homebrewer and that you have a problem when you have 214 bottles of beer 7 corny kegs full ready to serve/bottle 40 gallons more fermenting away and you still plan to brew on saturday

You know your a homebrewer when you check out a book about the history of beer that has not been checked out in 5 years.

IMG_20130220_180228.jpg

IMG_20130220_180221.jpg

You have Sierra from the 90s there? Maybe it hasn't been 15 years, but it's been years since Sierra stopped using twist offs. It took me years to quit trying to twist off the pry caps when they switched.

I will admit I haven't looked closely at their bottles for a while - when I started homebrewing circa 2005 they were definitely still on twistoffs. Next time I'm at the beer store I might pick up a sixer. My brother used to give me bottles all the time and I always was annoyed by SN.

Back