You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you run out of coffee filters and your thought process leads you to:

Hmmm, not going to be able to filter this. What finings should I use instead?

(I chalk it up to not having had any caffine yet...)

When wife compalains of house being cold. You're trying to keep the ferment temp down on your ale with kolsh yeast till initial fermentation is done.

BreezyBrew said:
During sex you have a thought about measuring grain.

Or you hurry things along because its getting close to time for you to start lautering.

You move food out of the cabinet and clothes out of your closet for empty bottles that you aren't even sure that you need.

You rationalize paying $10+ for a bottle of commercial beer cause of the beer you can drink, bottle you can reuse and yeast you can harvest. Its really a bargain.

zmad2000 said:
You rationalize paying $10+ for a bottle of commercial beer cause of the beer you can drink, bottle you can reuse and yeast you can harvest. Its really a bargain.

In a short time the beer was free

You are house hunting with your wife and and come across a garage with a room added onto the back. You turn to your wife (who turns to you at the same time) and you both yell " BREWERY!"
PS - the house needs tons of work, but I'm not lifting a hammer until I have a cold keg of homebrew in my keezer...

When it's friday,you're working on cleaning/sanitizing last minute stuff to try & get a brewday in tomorrow. And it's miller time,those beers have been in the fridge 6 days,&....Psshhht aaah.:mug:

When you get up early Sunday morning to clean up the second brewday of the week before the wife gets up. When the kitchen's clean,the man cave/brewery is next.

When you get up early Saturday morning to brew and start drinking at 7:00am because you have to be sober for church at 4:00pm

When the snow melts in springtime,your plot for the summer garden is
completely covered with spent grain.

Cheers

When the snow melts in springtime,your plot for the summer garden is
completely covered with spent grain.

Cheers

Or you look like an invalid dragging your green compost bin with frozen wheels through 3 foot snow drifts that is about 20 pounds too heavy because of the wet then frozen spent grains.....

When you been brewing for years and never had a successful batch, yet you keep dumping your cash into the hobby in hopes that oneday you will make a good beer

Wow.....I've never had an unsuccessful batch yet lol I think you should stick to paying someone who knows to teach you to brew well and this way you can finally say you are homebrewing and not just grain bumping lol

Wow.....I've never had an unsuccessful batch yet lol I think you should stick to paying someone who knows to teach you to brew well and this way you can finally say you are homebrewing and not just grain bumping lol

Yeah i think i have very high standards when it comes to beer..I tryed peoples homebrew who thought it was the best beer but it was horrible...I like the process though im gonna keep going..Not gonna pay someone to teach me

unionrdr said:
When wife compalains of house being cold. You're trying to keep the ferment temp down on your ale with kolsh yeast till initial fermentation is done.

I just had this conversation with her. I suggested using a coat. ( I flipped off the circuit breaker on the furnace so she now thinks it's broken lol)

Nah she won't do that. All the house repairs fall under my department. Plus I'll get brownie points for "fixing" it when the time comes lol.

Update: ok she found the breaker. Now she's bragging that she fixed it lol!

Yeah i think i have very high standards when it comes to beer..I tryed peoples homebrew who thought it was the best beer but it was horrible...I like the process though im gonna keep going..Not gonna pay someone to teach me

Being taught isn't such a bad thing..brewing beer isn't tough but if you overdo or underdo any little thing it changes the finished product ...I've been to multiple beer competition and have heard of many who benefit from a one day lesson ...it usually cost less than you would think ...

WilliamSlayer said:
Lol, AMEN brother!

SWMBO: "Honey, what's that blinking light over the basement door?"

WilliamSlayer: "Hmmm, the automatic low volume light you say? Best get ta brewin..." (rolls up sleeves)

At this point the klaxon is going off at my place. The mill broke last brew day (4 weeks), new mill due next week. Heeeelllllpppp me, the beer pipeline is empty. Thank goodness I have some wine ready.

You dump a half keg of good porter out cause you are burnt out of it from brewing 30gal in 8 mos and need the keg space to put your new lager on, just so you have your empty fermenters back that will need filling..

Viscious cycle

Being taught isn't such a bad thing..brewing beer isn't tough but if you overdo or underdo any little thing it changes the finished product ...I've been to multiple beer competition and have heard of many who benefit from a one day lesson ...it usually cost less than you would think ...

Where can i get a lesson?

You dump a half keg of good porter out cause you are burnt out of it from brewing 30gal in 8 mos and need the keg space to put your new lager on, just so you have your empty fermenters back that will need filling..

Viscious cycle
When you autocorrected this in your head to say "viscous cycle".

If you have a homebrew store nearby alot of them have one,or you may try to find a local brew club that you could find someone that would help.

Exactly what i was going to say...usually the fee for a one day brew class is about $20-$25 and the insights into things you never imagine will keep you making the right decisions according to what you would like to get out of it.. btw you could also check the homebrewers association website its filled with great information ..

Back