You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get a free beer fridge off Kijiji or Craigslist and after cleaning it you automatically spray it down with Starsan it "just in case"...

When you dump and wash out the bin you keep dog food in, because you need a swamp cooler. True story. Had to do it tonight because the batch I was gonna keg wasn't quite ready, so no room in the ferm chamber. On a side note, contractor bags work great for storing dog food...

img_0014-58546.jpg

You have only been brewing for less than a month and your spare bathroom looks like this.

When you have 6 cases of beer under your bed, a full wine fridge, a fermenter filled, and still think that you are running low on beer supply.

I just got back from a Caribbean cruise. Several of our excursions involved smaller boats, or included beverages. I caught myself admiring some of their Coleman coolers (they used them for holding boat stuff, or the drinks for us vacationers). I kept thinking, "man, that'd make a sweet mash tun." I didn't realize Coleman made a 120-quart cooler. I immediately made a mental note to keep an eye open for one on Kijiji, as my 50-quart can only handle 5-gallon batches and I'd like to try a 10-gallon batch.

When you don't mind getting stuck at draw bridge or train tracks cause you get to read though HBT.

Norfolk va. Represent. Way too many tracks and bridges. And now I don't avoid them.

When you have 6 cases of beer under your bed, a full wine fridge, a fermenter filled, and still think that you are running low on beer supply.

Lol, AMEN brother!

SWMBO: "Honey, what's that blinking light over the basement door?"

WilliamSlayer: "Hmmm, the automatic low volume light you say? Best get ta brewin..." (rolls up sleeves)

Nah,I was waitin on the starter to drop from friday. Stuck it in the fridge this morning. Got the spring water & ice a lil while ago to hopefully brew tomorrow. The Cooper's heritage lager can should be comming in tomorrow too for the dark lager recipe.

when you pour water in the coffee pot and think that you should make some adjustments to the water chemistry to make the coffee taste just a little better....

You're making spaghetti sauce, and you add basil and oregano at 60 minutes, 30 mnutes, 10 minutes, and flameout.

"Will it ferment?" becomes a family road-trip game.

You keep typing IPA instead of PDF (I'm debating my next brew)
Is it taking a class or something? Just what went threw my head when I read that.

You: Hey brew, you're going to be an IPA.
Brew: Nope, hefeweizen.
You: How do you justify the use of wheat in beer with all the starving people in the world?
Brew: How do you justify all that breathing with all the greenhouse gases in the atmosphere?

When your sister texts to say she's taking a tour of Stone Brewery for 'work' (Can't fathom why since she works HR for a large computer company) and needs a couple of smart sounding question to ask to look smart in front of her bosses.

When your wife is glad you have bottles that need to carb and that means you'll keep the woodstove going.

When the power company says you won't have electricity until Thursday night by 11 and you're more concerned over your fermenting brew than your freezing pipes.

When you wake up from a dream where you taste tested your latest batch. It tasted -- nightmarishly -- bland, like soda.

When you wake up from a dream where you taste tested your latest batch. It tasted -- nightmarishly -- bland, like soda.

I bottled a batch a while back and didn't have any star san so I soaked the bottles in bleach water. One of the guys helping me bottle didn't rinse all the bottles properly so some of them ended up with a nasty chlorphenol taste. Since then, I've had "nightmares" where I pop open a bottle and smell band-aids - and then proceed to pour and drink it and taste band-aids - and then I can't get rid of the awful taste but I can't wake up... AAAAH!!

this has been mentioned before, but it happened to me this morning

cooking oatmeal. water got to a boil, I turned it down to med-hi. added the oats and when it threatened to boil over, thought, "hot break!"

You know you are a homebrewer when you plan out a brew day, get all your ingredients ready and right as you finish "mashing-in" your grain your wife/gf comes in and exclaims...

"What the *#&$ are you doing! It's our Anniversary tonight!"

But, you come up with a quick, witty excuse for forgetting...

"I just thought I'd surprise you and brew an Anniversary Ale for you, Honey!"

Back