You know what I hate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate people who pay with checks at the grocery store and then sit there at the checkout line balancing their check book. Use your damn debit card and keep the receipt!

And I especially hate when they stand there while the checker rings up their entire order and gives them a total, THEN she starts opening her purse and digging for the checkbook and writing out the check.

By the time the last item has been rang up, you should have that check filled out with everything except the amount! One more time and I'm beating you with this little rubber club they gave me to separate my groceries from yours!

....throwing away the milk carton without first lightly rinsing it with water. I mean, bless, the garbage can may not get filled-up and tossed out for collection for a day or two. Who wants that extra subtle fragrance of rotten funk added to the usual perfume that is garbage.

I hate the recycling guy who comes by at 6:15 am every Friday and tosses the empty bin onto my driveway to make a loud noise rather than just placing it down.

I hate the recycling guy who comes by at 6:15 am every Friday and tosses the empty bin onto my driveway to make a loud noise rather than just placing it down.

Sorry about that. I was just taking the empty beer bottles! :mug:

I hate the following slang:

"Off the hook."
What is so crazy about "off the hook?" Where did that phrase originate? A misplaced telephone is really not that exciting. Neither is a coat that has fallen down.

"Off the chain."
Even worse. If something is off the chain, either it's broken, or it's not participating in a stupid letter forwarding scheme. Either way, it isn't that great.

"Props."
WTF? What the hell are props? Short for propellers? Last time I checked, those stupid propeller beanies are not so fashionable and do not indicate a desired status, nor do they command respect. Or do I give my well regarded friends stage props like fake guns and cheap jewelry?

I hate when people demand we speak a different language because they are too damn lazy to learn ours. I dont go to Germany and get pissed they dont all speak English.

Hell I try to learn the languages instead of demanding different

And to add to the list:
FIBS

And FIBS

I hate the packers and cheese heads, and BTW, there are some of us "FIBS" that know what FIBS means.

And I hate people that judge people and point out other people's faults, as if they were perfect.

I hate it when you go out of your way to be nice to someone, then they take advantage of it by asking you to do 4-5 other things after that...:mad:

I hate the following slang:

"Off the hook."
What is so crazy about "off the hook?" Where did that phrase originate? A misplaced telephone is really not that exciting. Neither is a coat that has fallen down.

"Off the chain."
Even worse. If something is off the chain, either it's broken, or it's not participating in a stupid letter forwarding scheme. Either way, it isn't that great.

"Props."
WTF? What the hell are props? Short for propellers? Last time I checked, those stupid propeller beanies are not so fashionable and do not indicate a desired status, nor do they command respect. Or do I give my well regarded friends stage props like fake guns and cheap jewelry?
You seem bitter!
I like it.

I hate people that say "At the end of the day"
What the hell...you can't figure out what's going to happen now?

Whatnot.
What the **** is a whatnot? It's irritating and is very often used buy people of lower inelegance in higher positions.

Have A Nice Day!
Screw you! I'll have what ever kind of day I want to have.....well...no, but it's a programmed response, and requires NO thoughtfulness that it is supposed to indicate. Also it inspires brain atrophy in people that automatically respond..."Thanks, You Too"

You know what I hate...

Boston drivers
People who walk into the ER with a paper cut
The Yankees (not the fans)
Bud, Miller, Coors
AT&T
The winter
Not catching fish on a nice day
Having diabetes
Working 3p-3a
Going to school for nursing
Rich bastards who have everything and take it for granted
Bud, Miller, Coors
Rap music (not the 90's)
Rock music (todays rock)
Money $$$
Gas $$$

I hate the woman that was in front of me on the way home tonight who changed lanes right in front of me and then drove 10 under the speed limit the last quarter mile to the exit making sure we didn't make the light at the end of the ramp. I especially hate that she slammed on the gas at the last moment and ran the red light, leaving me to wait through the cycle.

I hate how people who road rage get all the bad press but nothing happens to the people that CAUSE ROAD RAGE!!!! GRRRRRRRRRHHH!!!!

I hate people who pay with checks at the grocery store and then sit there at the checkout line balancing their check book. Use your damn debit card and keep the receipt!

No Doubt. I hate people that go to the gas station and buy 800 lottery scratch-offs and scratch them all off and redeem the winners for cigarettes all while I'm waiting in line to pay for a damned soda. But that's what I like about those people- they drive me to drink.

I hate it when I show up to a party with a sixer of good beer and people ask why I didn't bring any of "my beer". I keg. If you want some of "my beer" come over to "my house"!

Sheesh!

What I hate:
hippies, communists, anyone who says "it's all good," diet anything, lazy people, stupid people, liars, planned obsolesence, bell peppers, black liqorice, wintergreen, parasites, emo kids... it's a long list.

Forgot one before: LOLcats. Burn 'em all. Srsly not fny.

I used to be solidly in this camp, until I had a kid. Then I eased off it a little. Surely, there is such a thing as inexcusable behavior which is the obvious result of lack of parental oversight, and that I still can't abide. I hold other kids up to my own kid's standards. I think that's fair.

But I've found lately there are lots of youngish people who really like to eye-f$#k me when I'm in public, and the sprog decides to throw a hissy. I think that's the most common thing that gets me stares. Screaming. There's no possible way to keep a kid from screaming when he decides to lose his mind.

I've actually had someone sigh and roll their eyes at me one day at a restaurant (family style place... we don't take him to white linen restaurants). I was in a mood largely because of the kid, and decided I didn't really want to put up with this guy. So I literally tapped his shoulder and asked if I could help him with his eye problems. After he finally got my meaning, he snarled up and said that I should "control my kid". I asked him if he thought it was truly possible to ever "control a kid". And then the gem of a response: "Well, you shouldn't bring a kid to a restaurant if he's going to scream."

My wife kept me from inviting him outside. Good thing, too... he was kind of big. But I tend to fight the fights that are worth losing.

While I understand your position, please understand that I've been that guy.

Play, I don't have any problem. When a child screams in delight, it bursts my eardrums but I can live with it - and I know how to tell the difference. But tantrums are simply inexcusable in a public place, and yes it is the parent's responsibility to prevent other people's discomfort. If you’re responsible for the child, you’re responsible for the things the child does.

Let me put my position into an analogy. Do you find it cute, funny or just plain reasonable if my dog starts humping your leg? How about if he starts barking incessantly? You wouldn't take that if it was three houses down the street, much less in a restaurant or other public place. Please tell me how that's different from a child throwing a screaming fit or crawling over the booth's seatback. Please show me the crucial point of logic I'm missing.*

FireBrewer said:
Not all the time. Indeed there are "bad parents" and the definition varies depending upon what you value. Sometimes even the most well-behaved kid will misbehave because they want to see what they can get away with and they think they're in a place where mommy and daddy might not discipline them (they'll learn), they're having a bad day, their teeth hurt, etc. All dependent upon age and circumstance. It's development and psychology. If you think a 2 year-old is screaming just because they want to piss you off and you haven't considered the fact that a 2 year-old cannot communicate like an adult and doesn't even think like an adult, you haven't a clue. It doesn't relieve the parent of the responsibility of trying to identify the problem and be considerate of those around, but indeed some consideration is in order by those "affected". We were all children once and you learned what you're preaching because you crossed the line, pissed somebody off and prompted your parents to teach you the right way. And I'm sure invariably, someone was standing by, complaining about you.

I agree with most of what you’re saying here, except the part about there being some onus on the afflicted to be considerate. I’ll start being considerate when the sprog stops puncturing my eardrums, thanks so much.

See, the thing most modern parents don’t remember about their own childhood is that if I threw a wobbler, my parents took me away until I was finished. They were embarrassed I threw a wobbler. Even at, especially at church. They didn’t go out to eat with me until I was able to understand complete sentences and hold a fork – because they didn’t want my rendition of the natural antics you describe to annoy other people. Now that’s what I call being considerate.

I can find plenty of pets that are misbehaved. My kids don't **** on my neighbor's lawn or hump my friend's leg and they do listen better than my dogs.

See above analogy. That you can find ill-controlled pets means that you can find bad “pet parents” just like I can find bad parents. You’ve just proved my point. Thanks! :D

Here's what I think - parents have it easier than dog owners.

Now if THAT don't start a flame war, nothing will!

Hear me out with a short scenario. You take your child to a grocery store. You need a few essentials, like milk (you're out). He throws a wobbler because you won't buy him Count Chocula. You immediately turn around and take him home. No milk, no groceries of any type. The next morning, when you slam a bowl of bone-dry Corn Flakes in front of him and he asks "Where's the milk?" you can give him an earful about his rotten behavior and teach him a valuable lesson. That's on top of the earful he got in the parking lot and on the way home.

Dogs don't discriminate like that. You can't teach a dog something after the fact; you can't withhold his morning feed because he humped your neighbor's leg last night. You can only correct bad behavior while it's happening.

Most bad behavior I witness in pubic doesn't even seem to register on the parent's face, much less merit any corrective action. At the most, I hear a wimpy, sotto voce "Now, don't do that, Timmy." What am I supposed to think? That things are different in private? Right. If things were different in private, the child wouldn't be acting out in the first place.

This is evidence of when parents give up, and I have a real problem with that. You chose to reproduce. You have an obligation to parent that child. You refused to parent your child in that restaurant. Your kid started screaming, you gave up. You showed no regard for other diners in that establishment who maybe didn't want to be encumbered with such a surfiet of noise. You showed the same lack of regard as if you were smoking a cigar, someone complained, and you blew smoke directly into his face while dunking the ciggie in his drink. When someone pointed out that your abdication of responsiblity annoyed him, you wanted to take him outside and smack him one - in other words, you blamed him for your failure.

You don't get to give up. You don't get to take an hour off to have dinner, unless you give the child to another responsible adult. That's part of the choice you made when you reproduced.

That's my side. Now I'm done. I'm not going to change your mind, nor are you going to change mine, so we shall agree to differ (and never visit the same restaurants!) I respect your decision to have a child, and hope you respect my decision to avoid doing so.

Cheers!

Bob

* Please don't tell me it comes to me magically once I've whelped my own, 'cos that's bull**** and you know it. It's not like a patience gene gets grafted onto one's DNA once the doctor cuts the cord.

Bob, I agree with much of what you say. I just have some semantic issues to debate.

To refer to the people who must listen to a tantrum from another person's child as the "afflicted" is way too much. Please. Children aren't a disease. They make noise sometimes, like a dog, a passing truck, the stupid teenager who believes everyone wants to hear his music.

That out of the way, when my kids did the tantrum thing in public they were immediately removed from the situation, ie your milk/cereal scenario. They did not get an earful in the car nor an earful the next morning because, oddly, that's the attention they were looking for in the first place with the tantrum. Ignore that stuff after you get them out of the public realm and it's amazing how quickly they realize they're not getting what they want.

You are a smart man, but please don't blanket everything by saying people without children can indeed point out bad parenting. Yes, in some cases it's patently obvious. In most it's not. My kids have their issues to the point where I sometimes think they're psychos, but nearly every time we are out in public we receive comments about how well behaved they are. It wasn't bad parenting that sometimes turns them into psychos, nor is it exceptional parenting that makes them behave.

Now I have to get my younger child to preschool. :mug:

Bob, I agree with much of what you say. I just have some semantic issues to debate.

To refer to the people who must listen to a tantrum from another person's child as the "afflicted" is way too much. Please. Children aren't a disease. They make noise sometimes, like a dog, a passing truck, the stupid teenager who believes everyone wants to hear his music.

I agree. I go a bit further - I contend that inflicting any of those things on passers-by is unacceptable. We censure a neighbor with a barky dog. We complain to the municipality about jake-braking trucks; in fact, they just resurfaced the road in front of my house again because people were complaining about the center-line rumble strips they installed in the first resurfacing. There are already SPL laws on the books around here for loud stereos, and amazingly the police make some effort to enforce them.

But children get a free ride. Why? Why is it so wrong to complain about what amounts to another source of noise and annoyance simply because they're smaller versions of us?

That out of the way, when my kids did the tantrum thing in public they were immediately removed from the situation, ie your milk/cereal scenario. They did not get an earful in the car nor an earful the next morning because, oddly, that's the attention they were looking for in the first place with the tantrum. Ignore that stuff after you get them out of the public realm and it's amazing how quickly they realize they're not getting what they want.

Smart guy! I hadn't considered that angle in my scenario. It seemed obvious that the fear of a smack or just Daddy's displeasure might outweigh the desire for attention, but I'm admittedly out of touch with modern parenting ideas.

You are a smart man, but please don't blanket everything by saying people without children can indeed point out bad parenting. Yes, in some cases it's patently obvious. In most it's not. My kids have their issues to the point where I sometimes think they're psychos, but nearly every time we are out in public we receive comments about how well behaved they are. It wasn't bad parenting that sometimes turns them into psychos, nor is it exceptional parenting that makes them behave.

I disagree. Bad behavior can be spotted by anyone who has been socialized. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to spot the link between bad behavior and bad parenting. Kids don't get up to things unless they think they can get away with it. It's a parent's job to set those boundaries. Kids do indeed push those boundaries, granted. But it's part of the parent's responsibility to push back. Unless the child is under the influence of drugs or some psychological malady, there really isn't any explanation for bad behavior other than some responsible party abdicating his or her responsiblity.

It is good or exceptional parenting that makes them behave. You should be proud of that!

Now I have to get my younger child to preschool. :mug:

My best friend calls his girls "Microterrorist #1" and "Microterrorist #2". :D

I appreciate parents. It's a hard job which I by no means want. I salute anyone who recognizes the vast responsibility inherent in the task, including you, you daft wossname.

All I'm doing is reserving the right to tell you ur doin it rong. :fro:

Bob

I hate when I try to order something through a McD's drivethrough, and I can't understand a word the person says due to their heavy foreign accent.

I support multi-culturalism, but it still annoys the everloving dogbark out of me.

You've just reminded me...our trash & recycling contractor says we should have our **** out by the street from 6am until 6pm. One week they're there at 6:01am, the next 5pm! Meanwhile SWMBO or I are chasing lids, trash, whatever down the lawn 'cause for some reason it's ALWAYS windy on Wednesday here. :mad: The mailman comes at the same time. The paperman comes at the same time. Even Witnesses come at the same time. WTF is up with the trash man?

BrianTheBrewer said:
People who walk into the ER with a paper cut

I can relate...I'm just surprised they went there themselves instead of calling the ambo. :mad:

Bob said:
Let me put my position into an analogy. Do you find it cute, funny or just plain reasonable if my dog starts humping your leg?
Some dogs do that. They're wired like that. But I don't hate the dog for it and I don't think less of the owner for it. It happens. If it's a constant problem (like barking at 3am) then yeah, it's the owner's issue but I don't want to beat the dog for it.

They didn’t go out to eat with me until I was able to understand complete sentences and hold a fork
I'm willing to bet money they did. And I don't believe that parents should have to be incarcerated to their house until the kid can "hold a fork".

You’ve just proved my point. Thanks!
And you've proved my original statement. Mutually obliged. :D

That's my side. Now I'm done. I'm not going to change your mind, nor are you going to change mine, so we shall agree to differ (and never visit the same restaurants!) I respect your decision to have a child, and hope you respect my decision to avoid doing so.
Absolutely I respect that. And I don't get over by Philly much so you don't have to worry, although my boys are 5 and 3, old enough to know better. ;)

I agree. I go a bit further - I contend that inflicting any of those things on passers-by is unacceptable. We censure a neighbor with a barky dog. We complain to the municipality about jake-braking trucks; in fact, they just resurfaced the road in front of my house again because people were complaining about the center-line rumble strips they installed in the first resurfacing. There are already SPL laws on the books around here for loud stereos, and amazingly the police make some effort to enforce them.

But children get a free ride. Why? Why is it so wrong to complain about what amounts to another source of noise and annoyance simply because they're smaller versions of us?

Smart guy! I hadn't considered that angle in my scenario. It seemed obvious that the fear of a smack or just Daddy's displeasure might outweigh the desire for attention, but I'm admittedly out of touch with modern parenting ideas.

I disagree. Bad behavior can be spotted by anyone who has been socialized. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to spot the link between bad behavior and bad parenting. Kids don't get up to things unless they think they can get away with it. It's a parent's job to set those boundaries. Kids do indeed push those boundaries, granted. But it's part of the parent's responsibility to push back. Unless the child is under the influence of drugs or some psychological malady, there really isn't any explanation for bad behavior other than some responsible party abdicating his or her responsiblity.

It is good or exceptional parenting that makes them behave. You should be proud of that!

My best friend calls his girls "Microterrorist #1" and "Microterrorist #2".

I appreciate parents. It's a hard job which I by no means want. I salute anyone who recognizes the vast responsibility inherent in the task, including you, you daft wossname.

All I'm doing is reserving the right to tell you ur doin it rong.

Bob
Oh, Bob, you've got me a bit riled here.:D

Children don't get a free ride and you've every right to complain. However, outside of the obnoxious barking dog, youre other scenarios are controllable issues. Short of muzzling a child and stuffing a sock in its mouth, it is impossible to keep them quiet once they decide to make some noise, dependent on the age and the will of the child.

Bad behavior doesn't always correlate to bad parenting. I consider my wife and me to be good parents. My kids are polite, they're smart, they know their boundaries. They push them, of course, but that's their job. So if my 4-year-old decides in the middle of Target to go ballistic is that bad parenting? Or rather is it good parenting that I drop everything right that second and remove her from that so as not to "afflict" the other patrons? Just because my kids might have a meltdown on occasion doesn't make me a bad parent. It just makes me a parent. Personally, I'm a bit wary of parents who seem to have perfect children. Something is not right in that situation.

If a meltdown occurs because I'm exercising my responsibility to not give in to every whim of my children, that's bad parenting by your logic.

I'm not sure what a daft wossname is so I'll reserve being insulted until I do more research.;)

You can certainly tell parents they're doing it wrong. That's fully your right, but don't be surprised when many of us might tell you to take a really long walk off a short pier.:D

I hate when such folks as Barry Manilow, Kenny G and Neil Diamond put out Christmas albums. You're Jewish. Stop it.

And before anybody gets all, well it's a secular holiday now to include all people, let's remember why we have it in the first place.

Because the church wanted to placate the pagans that they were recruiting by continuing one of their holodays, so they took the pagan ceremony that took place at that time of year and re-made it into chistmas?

Do a little research once- see WHY it is that we put up a tree ever year.

The whole "Jesus' birthday" thing- It would make sense if it weren't for the fact that he was born on May 14th.

Because the church wanted to placate the pagans that they were recruiting by continuing one of their holodays, so they took the pagan ceremony that took place at that time of year and re-made it into chistmas?

Do a little research once- see WHY it is that we put up a tree ever year.

The whole "Jesus' birthday" thing- It would make sense if it weren't for the fact that he was born on May 14th.
None of which changes the fact that Jewish folks are putting out Christmas albums.

I'm fully aware of how the holiday came about and that Jesus wasn't born in December, but thanks for the historic revisitation.:)

AMEN brother! I usually think Bob to be a tad physco ;) but now he's talking. Not all of us have or want kids, and our ears are not used to the high pitched wails that sometimes a brat will let fly. (NOT referring to Shecky's kids). I personally can't stand an unruly screaming brat in a restaurant, where im paying good money to sit there and enjoy myself.

AMEN brother! I usually think Bob to be a tad physco ;) but now he's talking. Not all of us have or want kids, and our ears are not used to the high pitched wails that sometimes a brat will let fly. (NOT referring to Shecky's kids). I personally can't stand an unruly screaming brat in a restaurant, where im paying good money to sit there and enjoy myself.
Oh my kids can wail with the best of them but it almost never happens in public. I have girls remember, so they can screech. Fortunately, we have a no screeching rule. Anybody who screeches loses dessert.

Threatening to take away ice cream is parent rule No. 1.:D

None of which changes the fact that Jewish folks are putting out Christmas albums.

I'm fully aware of how the holiday came about and that Jesus wasn't born in December, but thanks for the historic revisitation.:)

Hey, you were the one saying"remember why we have it in the first place"- I was just pointing out that it WASN'T to celebrate the birth of Jesus, and it WAS all bout celebrating a holoiday that is NOT christian in the first place- thus your implication that non-christian people shouldn't be celebrating it is wrong.

It WASNT a religious holiday to start with. Saying that somebody shouldn't be celebrating it on religious grounds is FORGETTING why we had it in the first place.

I know what you mean, I feel the same way about crotch rockets. :D

That's another one of my hates. :mug:

Every time I see them it makes me want to open my door.

Bicyclists that don't obey traffic rules!

You're not paying for tabs, but you're still using the roads that my tax dollars have paved. You don't obey speed limits (usually going down hill) and don't stay up with a minimum speed either. You won't get over when I go to pass you (even though you're not a vehicle), don't stop at stop signs, and ride all the way to the front when you hit a red light. You want to be treated as a car when it's convenient and not when it's inconvenient. I want to run over your self-righteous ********* ass. Especially when you're dressed up as Lance Armstrong. You're not Lance Armstrong, quit wearing spandex with companies names on it like they're sponsoring you. We all know they're not.

You no likey crotch rockets? Now were gonna fight.

It's ON! ;)

Just messin' around...I don't mind 'em mostly, just the guys that drive 'em like nuts down the highway and want to cry to me when I scrape their ass off the road.

Which reminds me, here's another thing I hate: people that cry about getting stuck with needles.

I gave a 2 year-old a shot the other night, only got a tear running down her cheek. In contrast, the biggest babies are the body builders. Crying little b@#ches. Sooooo manly. And their veins are easier to hit!! HUGE veins. Probably could get away without using a tourniquet.

Nobody likes getting stuck. Man-up and STFU. :rolleyes: :D

Back