York Terrier Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALEXJAZZ008008

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have written a recipe using Beersmith for what I hope will be a York Terrier clone, I plan to brew this next Wednesday and in the mean time wouldn't mind some feedback on it if you wouldn't mind...
I assume most of you have never drank any York beer, the Terrier should be a hoppy ESB.

5.00kg/11lb Pilsen
0.245kg/8.6oz Crystal 60L
0.0300kg/1.0oz Chocolate
0.0150kg/0.53oz Black Patent
0.150kg/5.3oz Munich
0.560kg/20oz Wheat

25g/0.9oz Northern Brewer 90 min
75g/3oz East Kent Goldings 20 min
25g/0.9oz East Kent Goldings Dry Hop 14 days

Thanks,
Alex.

I ran your recipe through Brewer's Friend, and assuming a 5.5 gallon batch and 70% mash efficiency, I got OG 1062, FG 1016, IBU 55, SRM 12. Which looks more like an English IPA than an ESB, which does reflect what you seem to be looking for.

Grain - The reviews on Beer Advocate seem to universally stress the dryness of the beer, and many mention a biscuit flavor. Would brown malt (or biscuit, if you can't get brown) be more appropriate than Munich? If you used 250-300 g, and cut down your Pilsen to compensate, then you'd be at about 5% of your grain from brown (or biscuit) malt, and that would be noticeable and pleasant.

You might also just roll that 15 g of black patent into chocolate - the color difference in the final product won't be much different, and you'd simplify your recipe slightly.

Hops - Northern Brewer is an interesting choice. All of the Beer Advocate reviews mention the bitterness, but none mention the piney-ness that I associate with Northern Brewer. Although that might be exactly what you're after, you might swap with a more neutral bittering hop, like Brewer's Gold or Galena.

I would cut the dry-hopping time from 14 days down to 7 days. After about a week, many home brewers report that they start to get strange, off aromas.

What are you thinking about for yeast?

Back