Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JLeuck64

Reaction score
I am making another attempt at the Imperial version of this recipe today, see my earlier posts for reference. This time I am using my own home grown hops (oh ya!), plus I am cutting back on the amount of hops I am using. The last batch seemed to be just a wee bit too bitter for my liking. I am also going to ferment with Denny's Favorite 50 this time. Current version is attached as a pdf ( ;

Attachments

Sudz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a 7.5 gal run of Yooper's original recipe this past week. Used Denny's which I ordered from Austin Home Brew. Was nervous about getting this shipped in the middle of our 100+ temps between Austin and OKC. Must say they did an outstanding job of double cold packs in a well packed box. The yeast arrived warm but not hot and made up a good starter. Fermentation of my wort started in hours and has been running strong at 64*F in my fridge. Hit all my numbers so I'm eager to see the results. Patience is a pain, not a virtue... :)

JLeuck64

Reaction score
I just kegged up a 5 gal. batch of the original recipe today. Went from 1.060 down to 1.016 in 3 weeks so it's a solid 5.5% batch ( ;

I've decided to pull back from making the Imperial version lately for a couple of reasons. First was a request from a family member for the original. Second, I have not made the original in so long I felt it was time to revisit.

I am not convinced that simply doubling up on the ingredients was the way to go on those early imperial attempts. Anyways... this batch is conditioning/aging on the gas at 10psi for several weeks before I cold crash in the keezer.
:cask::mug:

Sudz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just a follow up on my August brew day. The batch is about half gone now. My new favorite stout without a doubt. Try it, you'll like it.

Cheers....

hout17

It's BREW 30!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've chosen this recipe for my 2nd ever all grain brew. Looks incredible and I love Oatmeal Stouts! I'll post how it's coming along once I receive my grains and get this brewed and in the fermenter. Thanks Yooper!

hout17

It's BREW 30!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got it brewed and in the fermenter! Gravity came out to 1.055 in the fermenter. Super excited as the brew day went well.
PXL_20210323_083942675.jpg

I had my efficiency set to 70% ended up with 73.5ish which is a good thing. I'm going to start milling my own grain so that should help.

cgoldberg3

Reaction score
Believe this will be my next batch, gonna do a 2.5 gallon size. Never done a stout before. How long are people aging this before drinking?

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
Mine sat in primary for 3 weeks. Then bottle conditioned for another week and a half and it was good to the last drop. It did change a little as it aged, but was very enjoyable throughout.

cgoldberg3

Reaction score
Brewing today, here’s my recipe scaled down to 2.5 gallons:

3lbs 2oz pale malt
7.3oz flaked oats
5.4oz victory malt
4.5oz chocolate malt (pale)
3.6oz flaked barley
3.6oz briess black barley (stout) (use roasted instead if they don't have it w/little bit of black patent for color)
3.6oz caramel/crystal 80L malt
0.9oz chocolate malt
0.9oz williamette 60min
WY1450

OP’s recipe calls for 4.8% Williamette, but the 2 bags I have are 6.0% and 7.8%. Not sure why they’re so much stronger but I’ll make due with the 6.0% stuff I guess.

MT2sum

Reaction score
I do a 2 week primary, and 30 day bottle age. Mine never lasts long enuff to find out what "really good" aging is! I've even drank a couple of bottles after a week or so in ageing, just becuz I was thirsty. My Stout is always good regardless of age, just like Porter is. Yooper's OatStout is great! Of course, you may not want to take my word for it ...... I drink Porters and Stouts almost exclusively, year 'round. Other than that, it's Simcoe Assault IPA, Homebrew cider and wine or Italian Homemade whiskey (legally made with Everclear.).

mr_lahey

I am the liquor
Reaction score
I brewed this for a second time. This time I made a time lapse of the fermentation.

I used Wyeast 1028 London Ale the first time I brewed this, and I loved it.

This time I used 1450 Denny's favorite. It has only been carbing/aging for a few days in the keg at this point, but it tastes pretty good. I expect it will only get better as time goes on.

Here is the time lapse, though it is not as eventful as some of my other fermentations:

cgoldberg3

Reaction score
Bottled my batch today, came out to a FG of 1.012 after three weeks in primary. Tastes exactly like an oatmeal stout lol. Carbing to 2.0 volumes of CO2 and will crack one open at the three week mark, which will be six weeks total from brew day.