Yooper's Famous!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool interview, but as a life-long yooper myself, this statement really annoyed me:

I've had some pretty damn great beers by the brewpubs in the U.P., so to say there's nothing good up here and instead tout WI/MN beer is crap. Lorena and I have met a few times and judged a comp in Northern WI together. She's free to have a different opinion of course, but I disagree with this vehemently. I've been to Titletown on numerous occasions and wouldn't call their beer any better than a lot of what I've had up here. :mad:

I understand why you say that. Please remember that I called this area a beer wasteland, as the nearest brewpub is in Marquette- 90 miles away from me! It's excellent, but hardly an easy visit to have a couple of beers. I grab a growler (or two) every chance I get but it's not a large brewery at all.I can not buy beer, at any price, that I would consider decent within 50 miles of where I live. That's why I brew my own!

Uhhh. founders= michigan? or something. hello

I agree- Founders is phenomenal. Unfortunately, it's about 500 miles away from me. It's not carried by the distributor in our area, and I can't buy it. I did get some when I went downstate on vacation, of course! Bells is also great, as is Short's. I can occasionally find some Bell's beers only 40 miles away.

Thanks for the nice words, everybody. I appreciate it!

Here's to my fellow brewess!

:mug:

And I agree, Surly is great beer! I feel privileged to live within their distribution zone.

I understand why you say that. Please remember that I called this area a beer wasteland, as the nearest brewpub is in Marquette- 90 miles away from me!

I thought that's maybe what you meant, but the statement was, "We live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, a big vast beer wasteland.". You didn't specify the Western U.P., or this area, but rather just Upper Peninsula. I don't see how anyone reading that would take anything out of it other than, "there is little to no good beer to be had in the U.P.". A poor choice of words at best. I don't mean to be a jerk about it, but it really set me off - a Yooper gets put into the national homebrewing spotlight and it looks like you're !@#$ing where you eat (or drink, in this case). I've vented now. Moving on...

I gotta tell you, Yooper, in that first picture, you look like a kid on Christmas morning! So excited!

Great article!

I thought that's maybe what you meant, but the statement was, "We live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, a big vast beer wasteland.". You didn't specify the Western U.P., or this area, but rather just Upper Peninsula. I don't see how anyone reading that would take anything out of it other than, "there is little to no good beer to be had in the U.P.". A poor choice of words at best. I don't mean to be a jerk about it, but it really set me off - a Yooper gets put into the national homebrewing spotlight and it looks like you're !@#$ing where you eat (or drink, in this case). I've vented now. Moving on...

Ah. When I read that myself, I see exactly what you mean. Of course, that's not what I meant, but I do see the way it comes across in print. And then I went on to say that when I DO go to a city, it's in WI or MN. Which is true, because we don't have any major cities, but I can see how it looks like I'm dissing the whole UP.

My favorite beer in the UP is in Marquette, and The Vierling. Outstanding beer, all the time, with a really awesome guy for a Brewmaster. But I read the question to mean larger craft breweries and Surly is the one that immediately came to mind, as well as Titletown as a brewpub as more people would know Green Bay.

I see what you mean, but unfortunately I can't fix it now. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely clarify that I meant THIS area, particularly the western UP.

Can I make it up to you by buying you a beer at Hereford & Hops next Friday night? :mug:

exactly what I was thinking.... Yoop gets some press and this guy "vents" all over a thread celebrating her moment in the spotlight.

Nice work, :mad:

No, not at all! I like and respect whatsleftofyou and I see exactly what he means. He's a really nice guy who nicely explained his point of view without namecalling, and I think very highly of him. We've met in person, and I think he's a terrific guy.

Please, no namecalling!

That was a nice read,so I saved it. It seems we agree on the "white whale" part. I enjoy trying to make more sessionable beers out of the high ABV/high gravity ones. I've already got a tweak or two in mind for the duel APA/IPA brews I did. They'll get there,after another try or two. Good to see you got some recognition. That doesn't come easy,I know. Nas Darovye!:tank:

And Yoop hasnt asked me for my number, either publicly or privately.

Just to clarify:

Yoop, I think you're crazy hot. Yes, I'm just short of half your age, but its ok. I heard Bob is cheating. I'm eagerly awaiting your message.

BBKing said:
And Yoop hasnt asked me for my number, either publicly or privately.

Just to clarify:

Yoop, I think you're crazy hot. Yes, I'm just short of half your age, but its ok. I heard Bob is cheating. I'm eagerly awaiting your message.

Yooper... you are officially a celebrity. You've got stalkers and everything! :)

How is this possible?

"Nobody's perfect", right?

So I figured she must be morbidly obese, or at least have that awful and inconsistent facial skin tone/texture that tends to make alcoholics very easy to identify. And yet she's actually quite small, and extremely cute, which, at the ripe old age of 25, feels strange for me to say of a 47-year-old. :confused:

So um... WHAT and WHERE is the massive deformity that nature and the entire cosmic pretty much necessitates? And how the heck are you able to hide something of such magnitude so perfectly in every single picture?

How is this possible?

"Nobody's perfect", right?

So I figured she must be morbidly obese, or at least have that awful and inconsistent facial skin tone/texture that tends to make alcoholics very easy to identify. And yet she's actually quite small, and extremely cute, which, at the ripe old age of 25, feels strange for me to say of a 47-year-old. :confused:

So um... WHAT and WHERE is the massive deformity that nature and the entire cosmic pretty much necessitates? And how the heck are you able to hide something of such magnitude so perfectly in every single picture?

LOL! You guys crack me up.

You only think I'm hot because I brew. And I have a whip. :D

LOL! You guys crack me up.

You only think I'm hot because I brew. And I have a whip. :D

-Brews beer ✔
-Has a whip ✔
-Damn sexy ✔

Yep your a real woman lol.

I personally thought it was a good read. Congrats!!

Nice article Yooper - congrats. Have you checked out Black Husky Brewing - just over the border in Pembine, WI. Its a cool operation and they are doing some neat things, like the Sproose Juice double IPA that uses spruce tips from local trees.

http://www.blackhuskybrewing.com/

We have a place near Pembine and its always been hard to find good beer up there, but the Black Husky guy has given us at least one really good option in the area.

Nicely done Yooper ! , you put a pretty face on brewing and being the coolest girl who plays ice hockey !

I'm glad to see Yooper get some recognition like this. She has always been very kind and generous with the brewing info anytime I needed help. :)

Back