Yippee eye pee aye!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Starter note: Had only 36 hours, so built a big starter, 6L @ 1.060, and pitched two packages of 1056. Starters fermented fast and furious but had settled down by pitching time.

38 lbs Pale 2-row
3 lbs 60-70L Crystal
1 lb Aromatic Malt

Single stage mash 60 min @152 (strike water was 16 gallons at 162)
Sparge 10 gal @ 170

Hops:

4 oz Nugget pellet first wort
Hop Bursting:
3 oz Columbus pellet @15
4 oz Chinook whole leaf @ 10

Hop stand:
8 oz Cascade fresh leaf at flame out, whirlpool 30 min using pump
3 oz Amarillo fresh leaf at flame out, whirlpool 30 min using pump

Cool to 75, split into three carboys and pitch

Secondary dry hop: to be determined

I just brewed this yesterday and will update as the project progresses. The idea was to use two techniques, hop bursting and hop standing to blast the wort with the flavor/aromatic aspects of the hops without the bitterness. Most of the IBUs are up front from the first wort addition. The use of caramel and aromatic malts are to provide a solid malt backbone to balance the bitterness and hopefully let the characteristics of the late addition hops through. Hop standing, at flameout the whole leaf hops were put into bags and dropped into the pot. A pump was used to whirlpool the wort for 30 minutes around the hop bags.

I have not yet decided on if or what to dry hop with until I can taste the creation after primary fermentation is done.

The name is of course a reference to Die Hard, as I expect this 8% ABV IPA to be intense!

This came out exceptional! The hop flavors are multi-level, never harsh, starts with a bit of citrus and rolls into earthy bark, burned peach, and what I think is a bitter anise or roasted herbs. I just kegged it yesterday, so the carbonation is all on top, but in a week or two I think this will hold its own against any imperial IPA out there.

yippieIPAMF.jpg

Latest posts

Back