yet another yeast question ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
just curious, have you ladies and gents ever notice when you rehydrate your yeast.......... the yeasty taste seems to be less noticeable ? or am i trippin' ? im about to make a honey nut brown, and i am wondering if it's worth re hydrating it? also being that it's a 2.5 gallon batch, should i use the whole pack? i use Safale S04 thanks -Lee

Use the whole pack and re-hydrate. Opened yeast will draw water out of the air & die trying to hydrate.

I rehydrate about 99.876% OF the time. I also must say that I use dry yeast about 95.473% of the time. I'm just such a fan of the simplicity and reliability of dry yeast...not to mention the time and cost involved in using liquid...but this isn't a debate about liquid vs dry.....

My guess is that you're getting a more viable and ready to work yeast when you hydrate...and thus the yeast finishes faster, and does a cleaner job than a dry pitch...thus leaving you with less yeast flavor sooner.

Back