Yet another Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsrstka

Reaction score
Hello all!

Just curious what your favorite yeast is for cider.

What are the pros/cons of your choice and what have you found the various characteristics to be (Fermentation speed/temp, taste, etc...)

Gracias

The one I have been using lately is WLP-007 It is a Dry ale yeast that yeilds very clear, High abv tolerance. Leaves a nice amount of sweetness and apple flavor. It also does not have a sulferous odor or rotten taste at all. Produces a nice clean crisp flavor. The recipe I use right now is 5 gal of apple juice or cider 2 lbs of brown suger, 2 cinamon sticks(optional) and the WLP-007 yeast. Takes about 1 month to fully ferment and one month to settle and clear. It has a slow steady fermentation. It is much better than the batch I made with an actual cider yeast.

I use Montrachet when I make Ed's Apfelwein, and Cote de Blanc for my New England style (fresh cider & yeast only). I have found that the cote de blanc does come out a little sweeter/smoother/less tart than the Montrachet.

I use WYeast #1010 - American Wheat.

You get the fruitiness of the apple and no sour taste that you sometimes get with ale yeast and a nice green apple finish. It's not as dry as it can get with champagne or wine yeasts.

I've got some Simply Cider on tap right now, as a matter of fact and it's pretty nice!

:cross:

Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast for EdWort's Apfelwein, and White Labs WLP775 English Cider Yeast for traditional hard ciders.

- GL63

Montrachet - Produces a fast fermentation; ideal for dry wines/ciders.

Cote Des Blancs- Produces a slow fermentation used to produce a sweet, fruity wine/ciders with residual sugar.

...Montrachet all the way!

Back