Yet another yeast count question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harpsbight

Reaction score
I am brewing Waldo Lake Amber Ale this weekend...
Estimated OG = 1.063
I plan to use yeast washed from a batch mid october. Dennys FAV 50.
I did a normal 1 l starter got good activity, etc..
looking at mr malty..says i need "1054 ml of yeast" when re pitching from slurry
Am i reading this right, re pitching form slurry, ie. choosing the repitching from slurry option, and how do you determine 1054 ml of yeast?

thanks good people.

i do have a ? of my own, brewed some octoberfest last night, brew kit directions said when to pitch yeast at 60, did so but i fallowed the packet instructions and added the yeast to 10 ml (2 tsp ) for ten min. added the yeast, fermenting temp is 60, doing so, should i be concerned about what i did with the yeast and the temp?

First, mid-October hasn't even arrived :D (unless you're talking about 1 year ago)

Second, unless you're brewing like a 50 gallon batch then you're about 10x too much slurry. Typically you should be in the 100-200 ml range.

240ml is about a 1 cup so 120ml is ~1/2 cup

So I just played with Mr. Malty and I see you ARE talking about yeast from a year ago.

Anything's game with year-old yeast. My belgian yeast comes back from long-term storage without skipping a beat (antwerp and farmhouse ale). My english strains don't - they can take days to revive.

I would simply build it up twice and call it good. If it bounced back on the first starter really well then the second should be fast also. Crash, decant, and pitch - you should be good and plenty of yeast for that batch gravity and volume.

damn..my bad. harvested mid August.
So a regular 1 L starter should suffice, no?
oh yeah.. 5.5 gal batch.
cheers

Yeah, 1L starter for 2 month old yeast should be good. You may not have even needed a starter, but it won't hurt :D

Edit: I just brewed a Waldo Lake.... uh, Ruby Lake Bastardized Amber Ale about a week ago (I could only find Cara Ruby locally).

Back