Yet another WY3724 thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirSpectre

Reaction score
Hello all,

Brewed a Saison almost 4 weeks ago now. This yeast did the natural stall at 1.030 ish in about 3 days. Now from that time to now, its slowed WAY down. Its been 3.5 weeks and now sitting at 1.014.

I've been rousing the yeast every few days, and the temp has been 89 to 90 F the entire time. The air lock has been "open" since. Blow off cane and foil under it. its been dropping about 1 point per day. I can't leave it on the cake much longer can I?

Should I pitch another fresh pack of 3724, or maybe 3711 and let it crash hard?

Thanks!

I prefer 3724 now for my Saison. Yours will finish and be fine on the cake for even longer. I have also used 3711 once to finish on the advice of someone else and it did finish faster. Once you use 3711 to finish it out, I wouldn't try to reuse that yeast as the 3711 will take over on future brews. If you are planning to reuse the yeast just let it ride, as 2nd & 3rd use won't stall. I like the 3724 taste better on the second use too. Good luck!!

I agree with @brewswithshoes let her ride it out.
You can keep her on the yeast for several months. Dropping 1 point per day is a good sign. Just beware of letting air in and risk oxidation when taking samples etc.

3711 doesn't have anywhere near the flavor profile 3724 or 3726 gives. 3724 will perform much more reliable on subsequent pitches. Make sure to aerate/oxygenate your wort well right before pitching.

Keep in mind, WY3726 is very similar to 3724, but without the stalling habit. So if you need to buy a fresh batch at some point, get the 3726. I think it's available year-round now.

I third the above. Let it ride and it should finish for you give time. It might take 6 weeks, but the resulting yeast slurry is worth its weight in gold if you plan to brew saison again. Reason being, the slurry behaves completely differently on a re-pitch, fermenting out completely in just a few days.

As an aside, I just used 3726 for the first time this weekend. Two days and done! It might have a point or three to drop yet, but I've never seen a strain act this fast, or as violently.

As an aside, I just used 3726 for the first time this weekend. Two days and done! It might have a point or three to drop yet, but I've never seen a strain act this fast, or as violently.

Two days! Sheesh.
The last saison I did with 3724 took a bit over 4 weeks to reach final gravity of 1.005.
I'm planning on using 3726 in my next saison. Probably won't get to it for another month though (got some other stuff in the pipeline still).

I've had 3724 take 7 weeks to finish. I've also had it take 7 days. I say give it more time and keep doing what you're doing with it.

3726 on the other hand is fast and furious and drops clear in record time. I still prefer the character of 3724.

Back