Yet another starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
So, I meant to brew this weekend, but life got in the way. I made a two step starter that was ready for today. Now, I won't be able to brew until next weekend.

Not sure if I should just keep the starter as is, and pitch it next weekend, or if I should split it into two mason jars and make a fresh one with one of the jars for next weekend. What do you guys think would be best? Its for dennys wrye smile IPA, about a 1.073 all grain brew.

If it was me I'd probably fridge it until two days before, then pull it out and add 200ml of wort just to get the yeast riled up for brew day.

I feel your pain though, dude. Today was go time on my Scottish 80/-, and after I whacked the smack packs I noticed that they're four months old. So I'm gonna have to do a two-step starter, it would appear.

The weather was perfect, too.

Is it a yeast you use a lot of? I like the idea of splitting it into two (or more!) mason jars and having yeast on hand for future starters. Obviously it would cost a bit of DME, but that's a pretty small price to pay.

This happens to me frequently. I crash cool it until brew day then decant the beer off the top on brew day morning. Let the yeast come up to pitching temp during the brew. Once, wort is at pitching temp I add about 1000ml to the yeast and put it on the stir plate for about 5 minutes then pitch.

This happens to me frequently. I crash cool it until brew day then decant the beer off the top on brew day morning. Let the yeast come up to pitching temp during the brew. Once, wort is at pitching temp I add about 1000ml to the yeast and put it on the stir plate for about 5 minutes then pitch.

Question: When you say you add new wort, are you adding the beer you brewed or do you do the typical DME starter? I like this idea...

I pour from my fermenter to the yeast cake in my flask. Stir it up then pitch it all back to the fermenter. The next morning it is always bubbling away!

Back