Yet another Bru'n Water vs thread. Please help - results dramatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I had can you take a look?

This is why it's always good to have an input for DI pH. In this case, no matter what the actual DI pH is, Riffe is assuming 5.72.

A better version would be:

DI pH (Input) - 0.0337 * (f *A)

An even better version would be:

Weighted DI pH (Input) (all malts) - 0.0337 * (f * A)

A Congress mash uses distilled water and follows a particular mash program. What I am referring to here is usually called a "test mash". In it you use a small portion of your grist and mash it with the water you intend to use holding until the pH is stable.

This is why it's always good to have an input for DI pH. In this case, no matter what the actual DI pH is, Riffe is assuming 5.72.

A better version would be:

DI pH (Input) - 0.0337 * (f *A)

An even better version would be:

Weighted DI pH (Input) (all malts) - 0.0337 * (f * A)
Agreed. I never understood why the assumption is 5.72 for pH. This may explain why his predictions always seem to be higher than other Gen I formulas. As the library of grain DIpH values continues to grow I'll adopt the Gen II approach.

I thought I had can you take a look?

For 60L crystal the spreadsheet you linked gives me 4.641 pH. That's lower than the lowest Briess DipH data I have for their brand of 60L crystal (which spans a range from 4.65 to 4.85), but certainly not what you reported above. Briess Pilsner is at 5.83(ish). Their Vienna is at or about 5.65(ish). And their 2-Row Brewers is at or about 5.57(ish).

For 60L crystal the spreadsheet you linked gives me 4.641 pH. That's lower than the lowest Briess DipH data I have for their brand of 60L crystal (which spans a range from 4.65 to 4.85), but certainly not what you reported above. Briess Pilsner is at 5.83(ish). Their Vienna is at or about 5.65(ish). And their 2-Row Brewers is at or about 5.57(ish).
You're correct Larry I am horrible at multi-tasking and got things confused in the process. I got 4.641 for crystal 60L too. Which isn't that far off from the lower end of the Briess pH range of 4.65 to 4.85.

Last edited:
Back