yellow jackets in my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davcar74

Reaction score
As I was cooling my wort (brewed outside this am), I noticed the yellow jackets loved it - no surprise there. But, I fished three out of the wort...curious how big my risk is of infection/wild yeast due to this. My wife would frown on RDWHAHB at 11:30 am...

Well it is a football Sat so I'd say 11:30 is perfectly fine for RDWHAHB, unfortantly it's only 9:30 here so my wife doesn't belive I should start drinking at 11:30 where ever the kickoff is.

The risk is fairly small, people brewed outdoors for hundreds of years over open flame and just threw the wort in a old tree stump and made beer. Ok, maybe it wasn't quite like that but you get my drift :)

That's why I put a lid on mine while in the ice bath. Darn lil critters...if it was still fairly warm to hot,you might be ok.

In the future you should look into putting sanitized aluminum foil on top of your pot. It lets the heat out better than a lid, and also forms a nice tight seal.

Sounds like a stinger ipa I made a few years ago. Hopefully they died from heat and not your recipe.:D I use a screen from the hardware store to keep stuff out now. And let her frown pretty sure it isn't the first time. And probably won't be the last.;)

11:30?!?! I started at 10 last Sunday for the Pats Jets game. Yeah she thought we were all alcoholics but she has known that for a while lol

To answer your question, I would say you are fine. If you just started cooling, you could have heated it back up quickly and boiled for a minute.

beer should be fine. just scoop em out and give the brew a sweet name. i'm more concerned with you not being able to have a beer! :D

Or leave'em in the Angel's share. If they're gettin part of your beer,then let'em have that part. Maybe give it a nectary note?...
This made me remember my all time favorite label one of you did about a brew called angel's share. We call BS,& want our beer back!!...lolz

If the bars can start serving at 11:00, than you can start serving at 11:00.
My grandma used to tell me you couldn't hit the scotch until after 4:00 (and only two fingers in a glass!), but beer was ok at 11:00. :tank:

Insects are crawling with wild yeast etc. Out of 50+ batches, I have had one single infection, and it was a fruit fly that got into the fermenter. Don't mean to bum you out but unless your beer was still 150+ degrees when the bees got in, you have a very high chance of infection.

My son chucked a Lego in my beer awhile back right after I pitched the yeast tryed fishing it out but couldn't find it. Went through 3 weeks in the fermenter then I kegged the beer and found the Lego! Beer tasted great no infection. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a germ free Lego either:)

Thanks all....1100 works on most days...just not when I need stamina for marathon cheer, dance etc...I never would have made it...

My son chucked a Lego in my beer awhile back right after I pitched the yeast tryed fishing it out but couldn't find it. Went through 3 weeks in the fermenter then I kegged the beer and found the Lego! Beer tasted great no infection. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a germ free Lego either:)

Linclon Lager is all could think of when I read this....

did they turn the beer yellow? A pair of pantyhose with the legs cut off and secured to the chiller hose with a rubber band will keep bugs out. Get the big girls and the waistband will fit over your biggest brew pot. Hand washed and sanatized of course.

Latest posts

Back