Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryue

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey ya'll, I was wondering if anyone has ever used that Red Star DADY yeast?? I was scrolling through Amazon's selection of yeast strains and saw it. It said it would hit 22% before slowing down?
Also has anyone ever used turbo yeast? I have only seen mention of it once and it wasn't good, so I figured I would stay clear unless I got some good feedback for it.

"Turbo" yeast is marketing hype. Not worth the $$. Red star DADY works fine at 2g/gallon. Rehydrating It first is key. I wouldn't use It on anything higher than 1.070 however. A 1/2 tsp of DAP per 5 gal is also helpful If you don't have grain based wash.

How low will the yeast go to? 1.070 doesn't seem like a very high potential ABV? But I have only worked with high gravity meads in the past, so I am in unfamiliar territory lol

The red star should go down to 0.980. Shooting for about 10% seems to be the best compromise. Above that and you yeast can start shutting down, If you are not mindful of nutrients. Plus, It takes a lot longer. Distilling a mead doesn't seem like a terrific idea to me, honey is too expensive, and you're not going to improve the flavor, only ABV by distilling It.

I had thought about distilling mead, but decided to try distilling a neutral sugar wash amd then age it with the same spices I would use for my mead in an carboy/oak barrel and then sweeten with a little honey.

With the proper amount of nutrients and DAP, is it possible to get a decent 20% wash without the yeast stressing too much and throwing off flavors?

yup, try it and report back... should be the same amount of nutrients to ferment as honey, which is basically void of nutrients that yeasties need.. 1.070 should not have the yeast producing good product... you may want to research this thing called TPW... not for me, but might be for you...

Ec-118 works good up to 18% but gets stressed around 15 I find. High gravity wine and ale yeasts can do the same range (sometimes a little higher) than that as well aslong as you give proper nutrition to the little yeasties.

Plus if the end product is a bit sweet from extra sugars it doesn't negatively effect the end product (the flavours will be a bit different). Though you will probably need to clean the pot out and check for stuck piping from the sugars boiling.

from what I have learned from other forums and various other ways you really dont want to have a mash over 10% ABV if you are looking for quality and not just quantity. With that said ale yeasts work well for gain based mashes. Look at the ABV the yeast can tolerate and the characteristics you desire

I usually do AG around 1.065-1.075

DO NOT USE TURBOS!!!!! they're garbage and produce shitty likker.

Try a good ale yeast or good old fashioned bread yeast, they work great in ag mashes as long as you don't try to make rocket fuel.

Ec1118, D47, 71B work well with fruit musts

A sugar wash is void of nutes and will require some help, boil some bread yeast and put in the wash. It works well and has no off tastes or smell if used in moderation.

I think once you get a few runs under your belt you'll be upgrading to a larger still, I run a 15.5 gal keg to a 15.5 gal thumper and it produces in one run about 2 gallons of drinking likker, 1.5 with very tight cuts.

I would also recommen doing a grain based wash to age on oak not a sugar head and tpw tastes like well you guessed it...tomatoes if run in a potstill unless triple distilled.

For sugarheads a can or two of tomato paste helps alot for flavour profile (cleaner ferment) and for providing great nutrients.

so to get more clean ethanol which yeast i need to use in sugar wash ?
i need ethanol for perfumes and to make propolis bomb, from bee hives
have still but all i did till now are just distiled water
and girl some oils for perumes but we got expensive ethanol so ...

I'd say ec1118, but be sure to use nutrients with a sugar wash.

and what ratio water/sugar i need to use with 1118 ?
so like u say up there ag up to 1070 max for that yeast ?
oh one more
i dont need to chill fermentation ?
can i ferment it on normal room temp ?

1118 is a work horse and has a wide temp range, you can ferment at room temp with fine results at or around 70-75 and can go as high as 18% but just because it can doesn't mean you should.
10% is high enough for the yeast and will have fine results as long as you make good cuts.

so to get more clean ethanol which yeast i need to use in sugar wash ?
i need ethanol for perfumes and to make propolis bomb, from bee hives
have still but all i did till now are just distiled water
and girl some oils for perumes but we got expensive ethanol so ...

if you are making ethanol for such uses, fermenting and distilling to get 190+ proof and 'clean' or neutral ethanol, the specific strain of yeast is not nearly as important as your fermentation and distillation methods.

You could make super clean ethanol from champagne yeast, one of the dozens of commercial distiller's yeasts, most brewer's yeasts, or bread yeast... for true clean neutral alcohol, none of these methods will be cheaper than buying it if your time has any value... even if it costs $50/liter...

I suggest purchasing books and reading, no quick tip on a forum is going to make you able to make good clean neutral without a few years of practice.. after you think you have a clean neutral, put a small sample in a bottle and store it away. Then make dozens or hundreds of batches of clean neutral for a couple more years.. and pull out that old sample and compare... what you will learn over several years is that it takes those years to get the skills to make *real* clean neutral

Calibrated 192.0 proof with calibration sheets.. shows 196.5 on the hydro @80.6F What I am stating is that proof is no guarantee of it being clean neutral. I can make a cheapie hydrometer say 190 with crappy spirits in a heartbeat..
IMG_20180527_083431.jpg IMG_20180527_083442.jpg IMG_20180527_083836.jpg

apparently someone that wants to be forgotten? and as far as 'clean neutral' you'll never get it with turbo yeast! i've pulled 92% first run..crap! and now a days they sell a UREA Free type, maybe it was that...

and yes i'll just assume, :off:

And as far as @golfindia ...i post to many youtube jokes but i can't help it! here ya go!

not sure how well it fits, but it's what came to mind....

Back