Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBboomer

Reaction score
I made a 2L starter out of a WLP001 that had not been used. I divided it into four sterilized jars and put it in the refer at 40 degrees. I plan to use each one to make another 2L starter then pitch that into a batch of beer.
I am thinking this will give me four batches from one vial and eliminate any flavors or problems from the trub normally associated with re-using yeast.
Any thoughts on this idea?

So long as your procedures are sanitary I don't see any problems. I would think you would want to do large starters to get the yeast counts up though.

You can freeze that stuff to with a little extra work and they should last up to 1 year . . . Do a search on yeast freezing or something on this site and you should find a few links. I would link it for ya but this machine sucks and I dont have my bookmarks on it. If nothing comes up by the time i get home I'll try to find the info for ya

Pumbaa said:
You can freeze that stuff to with a little extra work and they should last up to 1 year . . . Do a search on yeast freezing or something on this site and you should find a few links. I would link it for ya but this machine sucks and I dont have my bookmarks on it. If nothing comes up by the time i get home I'll try to find the info for ya

Heck I've used washed yeast that was over a year old without freezing. I keep my washed yeast in the fridge in pint mason jars.

Bernie Brewer said:
Heck I've used washed yeast that was over a year old without freezing. I keep my washed yeast in the fridge in pint mason jars.
I kept yeast that was mixed with trub in the fridge for about 4 months. When I went to use it I made a starter and it was dead. I'm thinking keeping it with the trub is not good.

Back