Yeast with flavor profile and attenuation like US-05 but that actually flocculates wi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoIguanaForZ

Reaction score
thout you having to find a way to threaten single-celled organisms.

Is there such a thing? >.>

Dry would be good, but I'm open to any suggestions.

My vote would go to W-34/70. Even cleaner than US-05, and a number of recent experiments have shown that it can be fermented at ale temperatures generally associated with US-05, while retaining much (if not all) of its cleanness. W-34/70 both flocculates highly and compacts wonderfully.

The only negative for W-34/70 vs. your criteria is that it may attenuate more than does US-05. Mitigate this by mashing at a higher temperature.

The link I provided is one such experiment. Testers could easily distinguish between the two, but in the final analysis more of them preferred the pale ale fermented with W-34/70.

http://brulosophy.com/2017/03/09/ye...us-05-vs-saflager-w-3470-exbeeriment-results/

Tried it. Don't like the flavor profile as well for anything dark and it keeps giving me around 90% attenuation.

BRY 97 is another one you could try. Also there are dried kolsch yeasts that you could try

My vote would go to W-34/70. Even cleaner than US-05, and a number of recent experiments have shown that it can be fermented at ale temperatures generally associated with US-05, while retaining much (if not all) of its cleanness. W-34/70 both flocculates highly and compacts wonderfully.

The only negative for W-34/70 vs. your criteria is that it may attenuate more than does US-05. Mitigate this by mashing at a higher temperature.

The link I provided is one such experiment. Testers could easily distinguish between the two, but in the final analysis more of them preferred the pale ale fermented with W-34/70.

http://brulosophy.com/2017/03/09/ye...us-05-vs-saflager-w-3470-exbeeriment-results/

Thanks for the link! Will definitely try to brew a helles at room temperature with that yeast :)

I've read that WLP090 is similar to US05/Chico/WLP001 but flocculates better. the WL description is:

"A super clean, super-fast fermenting strain. A low ester-producing strain that results in a balanced, neutral flavor and aroma profile. Alcohol-tolerant and very versatile for a wide variety of styles. Similar to California Ale Yeast WLP001 but it generally ferments faster. .... Flocculation: Medium to High"

+1 WLP090 whichis basically a better version of WLP001. Same flavor profile but ferments much faster and consequently clears faster.

Don't have a dry yeast for you, but US05 drops for me with about 3 weeks of cold conditions.
German ale yeast WLP029 is pretty clean and drops well on it own. WLP007 fermented around 68F comes out pretty clean for me and drop fast.

Mangrove Jack m44 is a slow starter but keep reusing it and its a monster. Very clean and fast. Keep it 64 to 68 and works fine

Nottingham is another alternative. If flocks highly and quickly, and it compresses and stays put with the best of them.

Mmm. See, while Nottingham and US-05 are both, broadly speaking, "clean", they have a very noticeably different flavor profile (Nottingham is much, for lack of a better word, "crisper," and while it works well with "dry" styles, it lacks the "roundness" of US-05 that synergizes with roasted malts and modest residual sweetness. Also, its reputation for flocculation exceeds the reality). Also, no matter what Beersmith says, I find Nottingham consistently gives me 85-95% attenuation, which is a little much...

BRY-97...I'm hesitant because batches made with that resulted in the first known usage of the phrase "dry-hopped with a pack of Sharpies" as a flavor comparison, but all my antiwhelming results were A) from partial pitches of the same satchet and B) from small batches with questionable handling re: oxygen. I suppose I might give it another try. M44 sounds promising but suppliers are coming up short...ish. Any favorite vendors?

Also, no matter what Beersmith says, I find Nottingham consistently gives me 85-95% attenuation, which is a little much...

Interesting. I checked my brew log and the last few times I used Nottingham, I got 72-78% attenuation. The batches were all grain and had varying mash temps. I've had 95% attenuation from US-05, I've actually found US-05 to be more problematic with regards to over attenuation. As for flocculation, I would say that Nottingham is superior to US-05, but that's nothing more than ancedotal evidence, I'm sure other people have found the opposite as well.

Personally, I really like Bry-97. A lot of people don't. Either way, good luck with your search!

I always get exactly 77-78% attenuation with Notty. Mash time and temperature make no difference at all. It is a super reliable attenuator. You can totally screw up the mash and it will always attenuate in the high 70s in my vast experience with it.

Now.... if you are adding a buttload of sugar to your wort or something like that, maybe it will attenuate more. But with all malt with a low percentage of crystal (i.e., most recipes), it's right there, every time.

Back