yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gildog

Reaction score
ok, so about 2 days after bottling my last beer, i finally got to trying yeast washing, i added boiled water to my trub in the bucket (had been covered and sealed for the last 2 days FYI) swirled it good and let it sit for 20 mins or so, i then syphoned off the top part into a mason jar and covered it and let it sit, its now a jar full of mostly brown water, and a little whiteish sludge on the bottom.

If im right that white sludge is yeast right? i want to use it in todays brew, but i dont want to make sure it alive, can someone give me a step by step guide on how to make a starter from this?

sorry to act like a noob, but this is my second brew

This is the second time recently that someone has mentioned siphoning as a part of this process. Don't siphon......Next time, put your boiled water in, shake the crap out of it, then plunk it straight into the first settlement container(s) Get the whole lot in there, all that crappy stuff. Be rough with it at that first stage. The gentle part comes at the first pour off when it's been in the jars a while.

is it ruined? i have a backup packet of ale yeast, im always prepared (such a boyscout) should i jsut pitch that and throw out the washed stuff?

You don't need to wash it if it's only been a few days. Just dump it all in your new batch. It will be fine.

so take the jar and just give it a shake to homogenize it and then dump it in?

Gildog, I think you are probably in the same boat as this poster As you have back up, I would probably not bother wtih what you have if it is very little and do it again next time from what you have learned.......Alternatively, you can save it and play around with it after searching how to build up your strain. Some people here build up a yeast starter simply from the yeast at the bottom of a commercial brew......Anything you do is all good experience. :)

I recently made a starter from 2 year old Wyeast 3068. It was pretty DOA. ( I didn't notice the mfg. date.) I was going to use it in my Edwort's Apelwein, but ended up having to go with the standard Montrechet because of the dead smack pack.

I built up a one liter starter out of the 3068 with the intention of freezing it per https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/guide-making-frozen-yeast-bank-35891/ but ended up making a hefeweizen with it last night.

I had the starter in the fridge because I wanted the yeast to fall out so I could harvest it for freezing. I took it out and set it on the counter, and after about an hour it came back to life. By the time I was ready to pitch it, I could see yeasties moving up and down and had a small kruesen on it.

I think most would say a 1 ltr. starter isn't quite enough for a 5 gal. batch, but this morning it was bubbling like mad.

I'm sold on using a starter, and from my limited experience, I don't think you are going to have any problems with using what you have now as long as it's around a quart.

If you poured it in the jar and let it sit for a while on the counter, then the layer at the bottom is your trub and the liquid has your yeast.

Back