Yeast washing using Nalgenes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShlouBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just did a write up on this on my blog and usually post these here if I think the forum will find them interesting.

Long story short, I was sick of boiling mason jars for yeast rinsing and wanted to come up with a faster way. So I came up with a pretty easy technique using Nalgene's that I haven't seen anywhere else, check it out:

http://newenglandhomebrew.com/2013/03/yeast-washing-yeast-rinsing-2/

Btw - realize this could look like spam or something. I make absolutely no money from this site and it is not malicious in any way. It's just yet another way (because I needed another one..) for me to obsess about beer.

Only reward I get is to share it with other hpmebrewers and hopefully help a few people out. So if u like it, leave a comment!

Seems to me the only differance between your jar method and nalgene method is the microwave for the nalgene and boiling the jars in a pot?
Why don't you just use the jars and put them in the microwave ?
You also say you have have concerns about microwaving the plastic using glass would eliminate those.
Nice write up by the way.

Ball jars have metal covers, not so good for the microwave :)

But if you could find some plastic covers for the glass jars that should work just as well. The material doesn't mater as much as using the microwave as the heat source instead of a big pot of water on the stove. Takes the boiling step in the process from around 30-45 minutes down to ten.

Ball jars have metal covers, not so good for the microwave :)

But if you could find some plastic covers for the glass jars that should work just as well. The material doesn't mater as much as using the microwave as the heat source instead of a big pot of water on the stove. Takes the boiling step in the process from around 30-45 minutes down to ten.

You don't really need to boil the lids. The yeast really doesn't come in contact with the lid.
I just put a coffee filter over the jar when microwaving.
And use starsaned foil after.
But whatever works for you.
And you also get to use the word "nalgene" which is a plus. :)

You could just hit them with star San. "Spray the hell out of it with star San" is my normal approach for many other things after all.

Does heat bring things closer to sterilized vs sanitized? Not sure if I'm remembering that or making it up :) I always get a touch extra germ paranoid when it comes to yeast. Star San is probably fine tho.

Saying Nalgene is pretty cool so ill stick w that, but you could def pull off the same results with glass.

Back