Yeast washing Too Long In Fridge??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
Attempting yesterday to do first yeast wash
This was an extract kit by the way,
Did initially see three layers almost in the jar have left overnight and now appears only to be two, I'm assuming the good yeast has also now dropped to the bottom, can I rescue by bringing up to room temp and shaking up and allowing to Seperate again and decant earlier ?

You want what is in the middle layer ---- not the "beer" on the top - not the trub at the very bottom.

Don't make it hard. because it's not....

The yeast layer should be on top, creamy white. I don't think it would drop through the trub. Mine has been sitting for 3 weeks in the fridge with the yeast layer still on top.

With it being a brew kit, no additional hops etc , is it just that I'm seeing just more yeast possibly at the bottom and not definite trub which you would see in say an all grain brew, was an awful lot there at the bottom of heavy sediment is there going to be yeast in there also?

Does this help?

yeast-wash.jpg

rszwashyeast4.jpg

So in the photo only the light (middle section ) is the good stuff to keep is that correct?

You're getting it..... Pour off the "beer" -- keep the next part until it gets thick/lumpy, if you pour off too much --- so what, you will not hurt anything.

Don't make it hard, it's not.....

In the pic,the light colored layer & the white foggy part is settling yeast. I'll be doing my first washing soon as well with WL029 from 2 PM brews. I only have a 1QT jar though,so it'll be interesting.

Latest posts

Back