Yeast variety question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeAliceBrewery

Reaction score
Been brewing beer for sometime...and have recently gotten into wine making. Yesterday I started a 6 gallon batch of blackberry wine (from Juice). I added 3 lbs of corn sugar. My homebrew store suggested I use the Lalvin QA23 yeast. I got everything together...rehydrated the yeast and pitched it. Today I learned just as in beer you must be prepared for a gusher.

So a long story short...or perhaps making it much longer than needed. I researched and found that this wine is going to finish very dry...and is intended for use with white wines. I will be killing off the yeasts and backsweeting prior to bottling. My question is....will I still get the wine that I am shooting for with this wine? My OG came in at 1.074...thanks in advance...

A. You will not be killing off the yeast, unless you have highly specialized and expensive equipment.

Let it go an backsweeten when it is done and stabilized. That is a good yeast, as it probably was chosen because of its flavor, or lack of flavor profile.

Yes, you are misinformed. In combination with k meta, sorbate acts as birth control for yeast, it just keeps any yeast from reproducing, not from actually working. If there is still sugar in your wine, the yeast will eat it and produce CO2. If you let the yeast work until all, or almost all of the sugar is gone and then stabilize, there wont be enough yeast to keep on working.

Back when I first started this wine making hobby, someone old me "in time, you'll learn to like dry better". At the time I thought that was BS....but, now I am finding it to be true.

I also discovered simple syrup...2 parts sugar in 1 part water, boil into a syrup and put in a squeeze bottle. A little squeeze in the bottom of the glass and fill with wine. make it as dry or sweet as you like as you drink it. Works great.

Back