Yeast taste and temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_in_wv

Reaction score
I am planning a new batch of cider. I was thinking of trying Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. After the fermentation started bubbling I had planned to move it to the basement where the temperature has been no lower than 55* during this cold spell. The temperature in the basement normally stays at about 60*.

I have 2 questions.

1. If the temperature went down to the 55 or even 50 during the primary fermentation would it hurt the cider.

2nd question is how will the cider taste with the Lalvin EC-1118 compared with the red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast I used on the previous batch

I just got done bottling a batch of cider that utilized EC118. I fermented in the low 60 to upper 50's. Lower ferm temps shouldn't bother this yeast from what I understand.

I can't comment on the difference between the EC and the Red Star. Let us know the differences you taste.

Back