Yeast suspended - not falling out - cultured from bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm8877

Reaction score
Hello - I am a first-time poster. Thank you in advance for any help.

I just brewed a 5 gal. partial-mash Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. I obtained the yeast by making a series of starters to build up about a cup of slurry from a commercially bought bottle. This is the first time I've tried this.

I think my sanit is pretty good. I haven't ruled out an infection though the last starter smelled delicious when I pitched it.

Here's why I'm concerned: The fermentation has been active for about 24hrs, but the yeast doesn't seem to be flocculating enough to settle to the bottom of the fermenter. I noticed this in the starter as well, but figured I'd just used so much DME that I'd made a beer-slushy and pitched it anyway. In the fermenter the situation has not changed, just increased. The yeast looks like many small galaxies floating in the cosmos of my wort.

What gives? I figured this was an ale yeast and expected a big kraeusen on top and trub on the bottom. Did I screw up?

Sierra Nevada uses a different strain in the bottles than they do to ferment...so you may not get the same flavor as SNPA.

Don't worry about the clumps, you leave it in the primary for about a week, and a secondary for 2 weeks, it will clear out. You are actually just seeing trub (protein) floating arounf like a lava lamp.

What yeast did you use? I have a SNPA clone in primary right now and it took about 2-3 days for the yeast to settle. I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale, I made a 1/2 gallon starter, had good fermentation within a few hours but it still took awhile for the yeast to settle out. At this point(7 days) mine looks fine. So, I say give it a few more days and it should work itself out.

Your yeast is busy having a "relations" right now.

24 hours into their feeding frenzy and they are doing exactly what they need to do.

Don't disturb. Sounds like things are going exactly as they should.

Thank you all for your good advice. I have relaxed, had a homebrew, and ceased worrying.

The wort has begun to clear, but just in case there are some yeast cells still 'having relations' I have moved the fermenter to a cool, dark place and put on an Ali Farka Toure album.

Raising a glass to you,
d

Back