Yeast storage temps - is it still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
I have a little wine fridge for yeast storage. Its been dyinng for a while. I checked it earlier today and the digital readout for the 2 zone was 54 & 51. I have about 16 mason jars of yeast, some washed and stored in sterilized water, some stored in fermented beer, sitting in there, probably for a couple of days at temps over 50. Most have an ouce of two of slurry at the bottom.

Are they still usable? Assuming they are still good, should I assume the viability is very low? If I use one, should I go with a step up starter?

Whats the ideal storage temps long term?

yeast sits at the bottom of beer for weeks at warm temps, so there is no inherent problem. i wouldn't consider storing yeast intended for a direct repitch for months in jars, it will certainly deteriorate, but a few weeks in the fridge works fine, a few days at fridge temps, assuming you are reading in degrees F, is really perfectly fine.

Back