Yeast still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I pulled my 1469 yeast out of the fridge, cracked the lid and it immediately started bubbling. There was 125ml of solid compact yeast in the bottom that 5 minutes later looks like you see in the attached pic. Smells okay, but is this good or might it have mutated? Btw, its maybe generation 7 or 8.

View attachment 1428344032803.jpg

Thanks sm. It doesnt smell bad but its not bready as i might expect. Has a slight bitter smell, but that could juat be from hops???

it could be from the hops, I do not wash my yeast I just top crop it and it sit under a bit of beer

on brew day I do not take the yeast out until have some saved wort from my boil

so I can pour off the liquid from the cold yeast then add wort to it

I no chill so as the yeast warms up and comes alive over the 3 -4 of cooling it ready to when I hit pitching temp

for me that is 63-64 F I brews ales

did you happen taste the liquid in the jar? if it taste bad the yeast maybe bad

all the best

S_M

I didnt taste the liquid and should have. I'm gonna play safe and retire this strain. I certainly got my moneys worth. Thanks for the input.

How it smells would not tell me anything. Some yeasts don't smell too bad to me, others smell bad and others smell terrible. None smell good.

You got me second guessing now. I was about to toss the 1469 down the sink but can't do it. Its like putting down a pet. Okay, one more batch.

You got me second guessing now. I was about to toss the 1469 down the sink but can't do it. Its like putting down a pet. Okay, one more batch.

See the info on resurrecting old yeast in the "Articles" section of this site. I'm in the process of reviving some top cropped 1469 that got a little old in the fridge. I too would hate to lose that jar of yeast!

If I ever find myself questioning my yeast, the automatic answer is to dump it.

6 hours of my time brewing and $30-$50 worth of ingredients isn't worth the risk.

Well guys, I think I learned a valuable lesson here. My batch isn't clearing due to poor flocculation. I believe what happened is because of my pitching technique on the previous batch. I direct-pitched 2 month old yeast (i.e.: no starter) and it took longer than usual to get going. I top crop, and it forced me to collect later than at the usual 48 hour mark. Result: I selected stressed out low floc cells. I'm expecting this one will attenuate super high. Hopefully it's still drinkable, but I should have gone with the my first instinct and dumped the yeast. Oh well, at least now I know.

Back