Yeast Starters for batches of 10 gal or more

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm gonna start brewing 10 gal batches soon and that leads me to my question..

how do i go about making starters for these larger batches?

I'll have to split the batch between two carboys

my thinking is I can A) make two starters (would require more vials or smack packs of yeast)

or i can B) make one large starter and split it between the carboys (seems like more of a risk of not getting even distribution of yeast into each carboy)

thanks your suggestions and help

10 gallons in 2 carboys is the same thing as 5 gallons LOL

Thanks how I brew also. I've never made a starter in my life. Dry yeast is MORE than enough just to dump one packet in each carboy and so is liquid yeast unless your brewing really high ABV beers.

The few times I've made a lagars with liquid yeast I just used 2 packs in each 5 gallons....simple works

Lol yes i know 10 gal in two carboys is the same thing as 5 gals. I ask cause i like to brew big beers, like Imperial IPA, Russian Imperial Stouts, and Belgians. And i plan on eventually getting a fermenter large enough to hold a 10 gal batch so i'm gonna wanna make starters for that. So i need to know how to make starters for 10 gal or larger batches. I say larger cause i may brew as much as 15 gal at a time. I was merely asking is it better to make separate starters for each carboy or one large one and split it.

fwiw, I brew 10 gallon batches and usually do a 5 liter starter in a 5 liter flask (there's actually a liter of head space remaining) on my stir plate which produces enough yeast for the batch plus another ~250-300 ml of thick clean yeast slurry to store for the next batch...

Cheers!

I also split 10 gal + batches, depending on style I do a 3L+ starter, decant some of the extra liquid, still well, then just pour half in each. been working well so far.

I typically use dry yeast and I only have done 10 gallon batches for the last 8 years or so. When I do use liquid yeast, I make two starter in 2L flasks and my two stir plates. Keep it simple (even used the pre-canned wort you can buy online).

*Short answer*

I brew 5 and 10 gallon batches - the large batches are split between 2 fermenters. I prefer to make one large starter, step it up as needed, chill it, decant most of the liquid, swirl the yeast so that it's more evenly distributed, and finally, pitch it. I use 1 gallon glass carboys cause I haven't felt like ponying up the cash for 5000 mL flasks.

*Long answer*

The style of beer will impact the size of your starter and the process of stepping it up. You say that you like to brew big beers - high gravity worts obviously require more yeast, and doubling a 5 gallon batch means that you need to double the yeast. So if you were going to make 10 gallons of imperial stout, your starter might need to be a couple gallons. You'd need something like a 3 gallon carboy to keep it in a single vessel - it might be easier to make separate starters at that point. Alternatively, you could begin with a single starter, split it into two vessels, and continue stepping them up. (I've done this.)

A stir plate would be super helpful for boosting your cell count if you don't have one. The increased cell growth would significantly decrease the required starter size. I use an old one from a bio lab that I bought on eBay - if you go that route, just make sure that it's been tested with a stir bar or paper clip by the seller.

Lastly, it's worth considering that multiple steps can produce more yeast than a single step. For example, making a 1 liter starter, decanting, and then adding 3 liters of starter wort should actually yield more healthy yeast cells than a single 4 liter starter. There are calculators online to help with estimating cell counts, starter steps, etc. Some are more accurate than others, but given that most homebrewers aren't actually counting yeast cells, it isn't an exact science anyway.

*The End*

Back