Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thach1aj

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was going to make a yeast starter but realized I was out of DME but I have extra grain. I should be able to steep the grain until I get a O.G. I want for my starter? Has anyone done this or should I just get DME. Any insight would be awesome. Thanks.

There's no problem making a mini mash for a starter you just need to reach an appropriate gravity which you can suss from most calculators. Nonetheless, if your LHBS is close I'd just get some DME. Another option is, using a calculator to be sure, pitch additional dry packs if you've got them on hand.

Hi everyone,

I was going to make a yeast starter but realized I was out of DME but I have extra grain. I should be able to steep the grain until I get a O.G. I want for my starter? Has anyone done this or should I just get DME. Any insight would be awesome. Thanks.

It's fine. Most people just use dme because it's faster. Certainly will take longer but it's cheaper to use grain.

You could definitely use grain to make a starter. I have done this by steeping a bunch of 2-row pale malt until I got an OG of 1.040. That will give you a good amount of sugar for a starter and will impart almost no flavor, especially when only pitching the yeast from your starter.

When I did it, I actually made a 4 gallon batch of starter and jarred all of it. I then popped open a jar and threw it in my Erlenmeyer flask with some yeast anytime I needed a starter. This saves a a lot of time when you need a starter at the last minute and it gives you an excuse to brew. Win-Win

Back