Yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinks

Reaction score
How important is it to make a yeast starter? I am getting ready to do my first brew (buying ingredients tomorrow) and want to make sure I do it right the first time. Also anyone have a good link or guide on how to make a starter?

Well, you'll know ahead of time whether or not your yeast is viable. Plus, you'll have less lag time once you pitch your yeast. I did not use a starter for my first two batches, and I ended up panicking and posting "Help!!! Threads"! LOL.

I would reccomend a starter.
:rockin:

If this is your first homebrew, just pick up a packet of dry yeast. It will be much easier than a liquid yeast and won't need a starter. Starters are a good thing, but I would leave out the extra step if you can.

24 hours will definately increase the amount of yeast, 48 would be better. If you can make it tonight or early tomorrow morning it will still be better than just trying to use the vial or pack of liquid yeast on its own.

or find yourself a smack pack.... I use either Safale or a smack pack every time....

Still haven't gotten any bottles to carbonate...

I use XL DME so that no matter what I brew I can use the same DME... I ALWAYA make starters for my liquid yeast... except recently when I did not, and had an 82 hour lag time. MAKE A STARTER. If you are using dry yeast, simply rehydrate in some water and let er rip... dry yeast has a pretty high cell count and is pretty darn effective from the git go.

Wow, lots of good info. I was worried that I should of done a starter for my first batch but about 16 hours after putting it into the primary I have bubbles :mug:

Back