yeast starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortus0868

Reaction score
When making a yeast starter do you have to use DME or can you use grains. What im asking is dme is pricey and i do only all grain batching. So i dont want to go out and drive two hours to the nearest brew store for dme.. just wondering thanks

I'm a beginner, but ala J. Palmer's book, grain has all the organic stuff that yeast need, and so does DME. Trouble comes when folks cut the DME with refined sugars, which have NO nutrients. JP advises a starter of DME, a quarter tsp of yeast nutrient(from Wyeast or other), 500 cc water, but heat to boil(I pasteurize only) and add Nutrient 10 min before end of boil, or Past'n, at which point I cool in water bath under an air filter. Rehydrate yeast in dist'd water, then add to DME sol'n. This is I find bare min. of yeast for a 5-6gal batch. Before pitch'g, pour off most of the starter liquid, in case it tastes crappy, and add only yeast slurry. Good luck.

You will need DME. The yeast needs the sugar. The grains will only work if the starches have been converted. That would add way more time than needed. Think of it as a minnie batch of beer. If you brew often buy it in bulk. It's way cheaper.

Back