Yeast Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgb294

Reaction score
I just got done brewing my first batch. I made a Fat Tire clone and it's been in primary right now for about a week. I used California Ale Yeast (Liquid) and pitched at about 75 degrees.

Was doing some research and came across some info on yeast starters. My question is this. Are yeast starters always preferred? What are the benefits and the downsides if any? I have another kit for a Beartooth Stout that I plan on starting in a week or two and was wondering if I should make a starter for this brew. As always, any advice, tips, or feedback is always appreciated. I had a blast brewing my first batch and hope to graduate to all grain after I get the basics down.

Cheers!

A starter is generally prefered. With a starter you get a greater yeast count which results in less lag time and healthier yeast. This means a happier and quicker fermentation.

A lot of folks simply pour the vile as-is. As I recall, both White Labs and Wyeast indicate you are good for up to 5 gal batches of an "average" gravity beer with one vial or pack. Bigger batches or heavier beers should use a starter for the above reasons.

Check out yeastcalc.com for good info.

Additional info (had to run for supper): also check out Palmer (howtobrew.com) and note that starters are normally only required for liquid yeast. Dry yeast is different, you can do a quick search here for why that is. I always make a starter with liquid yeast for my 5 gal batches.

You want to make a starter in most cases so that you can pitch the proper amount of yeast for the gravity beer that you're brewing. If you pitch the wrong amount of yeast it will affect the flavor of your beer. Use a yeast calculator like Mr. Malty. It will tell you how much yeast you need and what size starter you should be using.

Back