Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I made a 2.5 l starter friday night and it has now been 40 hours. How do I know it is ready to use? I had planned to use it this evening. It looks more cloudy then my last starter. This time I used whitelabs wlp002 where my last starter was Wyeast 3068.

I would like to stick it in the fridge for a couple hours so I can decant the beer off so I can pitch later.

There should be a slight ring of krausen just above the wort level. Put it in the fridge until ready to pitch, decant and toss in the slurry.

I made a 2.5 l starter friday night and it has now been 40 hours. How do I know it is ready to use? I had planned to use it this evening. It looks more cloudy then my last starter. This time I used whitelabs wlp002 where my last starter was Wyeast 3068.

I would like to stick it in the fridge for a couple hours so I can decant the beer off so I can pitch later.

3068 is hefe yeast, it'll be cloudy. If you turn the stir plate off, or let the starter settle, do you have a layer of yeast at the bottom? FWIW, after 40 hours, it should surely be done and ready to cold crash and use.

Back