Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoSheaStl

Reaction score
I made a Yeast Starter using WLP080 from White Labs, let it sit overnight in my dark basement, then checked on it the next day. There didn't appear to much caking on top. I didn't shake it up before I pitched it into my beer, and didn't notice all the excess yeast on the bottom of the growler until after I pitched it. Is my beer going to be okay? Did enough yeast make it into my wort?

My guess is you will be ok it just may be very slow to start.

I'm sure you didn't pitch enough yeast since the calculated starter should have required the full cell count from the starter. I have no way of knowing if your beer will ferment out or not since I don't know how much went into it. I'd encourage you to keep an eye on it and, if it doesn't start showing signs of active fermentation within 48 hours, pitch another vial. Also, be prepared for some estery flavors from underpitching.

This is all speculation since I don't have all the details, but generically true.

Update: I checked on it today. It is VERY ACTIVE. Foam and CO2 are bubbling up into the blowoff hose and into my water bucket. A lot of krousen. So I guess this means it's okay??

Seems like you answered your own question there...

Yes, it's fine. Next time give it a good shake before pitching.

Update: I checked on it today. It is VERY ACTIVE. Foam and CO2 are bubbling up into the blowoff hose and into my water bucket. A lot of krousen. So I guess this means it's okay??

If it's fermenting it's fine. I like to make my starters at least 2 days prior to brewing if I'm growing cells, and only the day before if I'm just "waking up" washed yeast. A stir plate really helps get things going even better, and if you can make one yourself they aren't expensive at all.

Just picked up a new erlenmeyer flask, bung, and new airlock for starters. Made a strawberry summer ale saturday, started the yeast friday morning.

Safale S-04 in the starter, and the fermenter (7 gallon batch) was blowing HARD for 24 hrs. It slowed a bit yesterday, so i swapped back to a standard airlock.

Yeast starters FTW. I really need to finish making my stir plate...

I don't even use an airlock. You want o2 to get in. I just sanitize a piece of foil and place it loosely over the top.

From what I've read, it's only inviting bacteria in. The CO2 that the yeast produces is heavier than air, so will fill the flask completely to the top with it, not letting O2 in.

I could understand maybe if it was lighter than air, it would float around the foil, and air would displace it. But from a chemistry standpoint all you're achieving is potentially letting bacteria in.

We have a cat and there's no way I'd let it sit around without a stopper and an airlock.

This post of mine should help.

What do you mean by "start?" What activity are you believing is an indicator that a starter has or hasn't started.? I've never had a starter not start. Modern yeast just doesn't NOT WORK these days, contrary to what most new brewers may believe. If yeast can survive 40 million years preserved in amber and a beer can be brewed out of it, then why do you believe your MODERN yeast isn't doing it's job?

Most of the time the person is looking at the wrong "signs of fermentation." And ignoring what is right in front of them.

Activity in a starter really only means one thing and one thing only.

It doesn't matter one blip in your fermenter or your starter flask if the airlock bubbles or not (if you are using an airlock and not tinfoil if you are using tinfoil, you aren't getting bibbling anyway,) or if you see a krauzen. In fact starter fermentation are some of the fastest or slowest but most importantly, the most boring fermentations out there. Usually it's done withing a few hours of yeast pitch...usually overnight when we are sleeping, and the starter looks like nothing ever happened...except for the little band at the bottom. Or it can take awhile...but either way there's often no "activity" whatsoever....

I usually run my stirplate for the first 24 hours, then shut it down, if you are spinning your starter it is really hard to get a krausen to form anyway, since it's all spinning, and there's often a head of foam on it from the movement.

All that really matters is that creamy band o yeast at the bottom.

rsz_yeast_starter_chilled_001.jpg

This is a chilled sample so it's flocculated, but even with an unchilled sample you should see a band of yeast at the bottom. Here's an unchilled version

starter.jpg

Same thing, a band.

As it is I've only ever seen two or three krausens actually on my starter (one blew off a bunch of krausen and knocked the tinfoil off the flask,) and the evidence of one on the flask at the "waterline" once. But I've never not had a starter take off.

Look for the yeast at the bottom, don't worry what it looks like on top.

If you have yeast on the bottom....that's all you really need.

If it looks anything like that, your are ready to either feed it again, or use it.

And....starters were made for years before people started using stirplates, so that's not a determing factor in if a starter works or not.

I have only made a few starters but have always used an airlock. I get the oxygen part but I do not know how putting tin foil on top will allow oxygen to get in with all the co2 coming up and out. Plus, the chance of contamination is worrisome.

I am wondering though, I just did a 2000mL starter (used 2 vials). It is at room temp. I made it about 36 hours ago (1.04 OG, used yeast nutrient, pitched at about 70deg, swirled every few hours). It is still hazy and the yeast on the bottom isn't as much as I would expect. I was going to decant but I am not sure if all the yeast has settled out. But I am worried at the volume as far as all of it going into my beer and contributing to "off flavors". any help would be appreciated.

I use a foam stopper in my starters, it lets Co2 out, lets O2 in, keeps baddies out.

If I lost my foam stopper, I wouldn't hesitate to use a sanitized piece of foil. Bacteria are not black belts and I don't think they have any better chance of getting in under a loose piece of foil than they do a slightly-less-than-tight plastic bucket lid. Just my $0.02

Glad it took off! :)

Haven't used an airlock in years just some foil this is a wyeast 3608 final step up just prior to pitching into 10 gallons.I used wort from a prior hefe that I had frozen for the starter I do this with every brew.. Wife is a little pissed that the 20cf freezer has about 5 gallons of wort in containers in it
STA70190.JPG

OP you most likely missed the krausen

Back