Yeast starter????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They seriously want people to pay for a jam jam with a hold drilled into it?

That will take you all of 2 mins to make and yes it will work for stepping up smaller starters but it wont be enough to make a starter for a standard 5G batch. You could just use a large pet soft drink bottle with a rubber bung and airlock or even just foil on the top too.

It'd be fairly easy to build if you've got any DYI experience at all, but I'd recommend you just go to your LHBS and pick up an erlenmeyer flask. You can boil in it and move immediately to an ice bath without worrying about it cracking, it's easy to clean, and will stand up to punishment. It's also graduated to help with measuring. Around my way they go for $12, which is less than you'd pay for that jar after shipping.

Wow, I'm in the wrong line of work. That's a $1 canning jar and a $1.50 airlock.

And you don't want to use an airlock on a starter, so it's really just the $1 jar.

Back