Yeast starter volcanoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBSCZONER

Reaction score
Hey guys, I harvested some 3068 from a prior batch last night, washed it, and made a starter. Woke up at 1 am and it was blowing over. covered it with sanitized foil and went back to bed. Woke up this morning and decided to try to fix it. Turned on the stir plate to beat everything back down and it just keeps lowin over and blowin over. . Had the top off for about ten minutes cleaning off the sides of the flask with a towel. I put the top back on and im just waiting now. Stir Plate is off. Do you guys think my yeast is still good? ir should i pick up another pack and make a new starter. I Plan to brew on sunday. Thanks for any input in advance.

:mug:

Still good. 3068 is a beast. Expect similar results in your full-size batch.

Just got the same results with a washed batch of WLP001 on a stir plate, made a starter for the original pitch and didn't have that problem. Always keep fermcap-s around to control foam, a few drops of that and it was fine.

Similar thing happened with Pacman this week for me. I was lucky enough to catch it before it blew all the way out of the 2L flask on the stirplate, so I quickly sanitized my 1L flask and poured some (about 400-500 mL) off from the 2L to the 1L... the 2L still almost overflowed over the next 12 hours. I can only imagine the mess I'd have had to deal with if I hadn't done damage control when I did.

Yea i had a blowoff in my Hefe i used it for last time i brewed, I was just worried about the time the top was off and exposed to oxygen, Dont wanna pitch sour yeast or anything

Back