Yeast Starter Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven9026

Reaction score
I'm wanting to do a starter using yeast captured from a bottle conditioned beer. I know the process for capturing the yeast and how to make a starter and such, but I don't know how to tell when I have the right amount of yeast collected. I wanted to experiment doing this by making a 4.0 gallon batch. The reason for the 4.0 gallon batch is, all my 6.5 gal fermenters are full, and I have an extra 5.0 gallon carboy. If I read it right,according to Mr. Malty I need 90ml of yeast for the starter. Does this mean the yeast cake that forms on the bottle should reach the 90ml. mark on my flask? I was going to start off using the yeast from 3 bottles and a low gravity wort, and build from there. Just wasn't sure how to go about knowing that I had 90ml. yeast.

Thanks
Steven

I've done this once to get the SN Kellerweis strain. I saved 6 bottles worth, then did two 500ml starters, decanting each time. Then did a 1000ml starter before brewing the beer. Worked great.:mug:

Thanks Guys. I did an experimental 1gal batch using 3 bottles of yeast and that turned out great. But I had no Idea as to how much yeast I had pitched to the 1 gal of wort. Now that I know the correct way to measure what I got. I'll do the 4.0 gal batch and then make a 10.0 gallon from there if all goes well. Again thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back