Yeast Starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
Made a yeast starter today and it was not as smooth as it should have been. My main concern is when I pitched the yeast. I shook the White Labs vial a little too hard it seems. I opened it up and it started spewing out like I shook up a beer. I was able to get most of the yeast in my wort, but noticed that it was thick at the end and started to come out in chuncks. I left it feeling that most of the vial got into the wort, but usually there is usually a layer that forms pretty quick at the bottom. Now there is really nothing. Just a couple of small pieces of what seem to be yeast the size of a finger nail clipping. I also saw that an eyelash or eyebrow hair also fell in there sometime. Not sure when but hopefully it was during the boil. Should I just completely redo my starter or should this end up fine like most of the things I worry about. :drunk:

Probably fine, I wouldn't worry unless it is not fermenting in a couple days then maybe repitch. As for the Eyelash in the beer as longs as it was boiled it will be ok. Sometimes hairs can have wild yeast on them. As long as the yeast you pitched gets going faster then the 1 or 2 molecules on the eyelash you will be fine.

Back