Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find an answer.

I like to brew on friday when i have the time. I go to my LHBS on friday afternoon and get what i need, brew and pitch dry yeast. This time I want to use a liquid yeast. So my plan is to on friday, go to LHBS get ingrediants and liquid yeast. go home, make starter brew. Then put work in primary and then put in my refrigerator with a JC. wait 24hrs, pitch starter. im sure its probably ok to let the wort sit 24hrs before pitching, but just want to check.

Can you make your starter on Thursday? If not I would try to pitch your yeast into a liquid that is the same temp as starter. Pitching 70 degree starter into cold wort will stress yeast. Leaving it sit over night shouldn't hurt it.

Id rather not make 2 trips to the LHBS. so pitch starter in to wort that is the same temp? if i want to ferment at 60, both should be at 60? i plan on using the cali common lager yeast fyi.

You can let wort sit for a period of time, but keep in mind the longer it sits without yeast in it, the more chance there is of infection. If you are getting liquid yeast, you don't have to make a starter. White Labs tubes can be direct pitched. Wyeast smack packs can be direct pitched as well, but you could smack it right after you buy it and let it swell while you are on the way home and while you are brewing. If you want to make a starter, I would suggest doing it the day before.

I think your best option would be to get your schedule offset by a week, so that you're buying the next Friday's yeast. That will give you time to make a starter, ferment it out (2-3 days) and chill it (1-2 days) before pitching. You could also just buy two packages of liquid yeast, which is about the amount you want for a 1.050-1.060 beer.

I've let wort sit 24 hours (to get a lager down to pitching temp) but it always makes me nervous.

Latest posts

Back