yeast starter propagation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewPadawan

Reaction score
I am trying to turn 1 vial of WLP001 into enough for approximately 3 vials: 2 will be used soon and the last 1 vial would be "banked." I am currently using the "shaking method" of aeration.

I added the 1 vial of WLP001 into a 2L 1040 wort and it has been propagating/fermenting for about 44 hours now. The yeast matter has certainly grown in size on the bottom of the glass. I intermittently shake/swirl at least 10x a day.

Based on pitch rate calculators I should have around 220-240 billion cells once the starter is finished; the plan from there was to crash the finished starter, decant, and then divide the slurry into three 8oz sanitized mason jars. This would give each jar approximately 73-80 billion cells. When I went to brew I would add one jar into a 1.5L starter for a batch of regular strength brew (for examples sake, say something like 1050) and be ready to pitch in 18-24 hours.

The question I have is when do I cold crash this starter? I have read the term "fermented out" and assume that means when all signs of fermentation have ceased.

Please help!

Cold crash when all fermentation is complete. To tell when fermentation is complete let it sit undisturbed for two hours.
Then swirl it, not shake. If a small krausen appears it isn't done fermenting out. Give it a good shake to aerate and try again later.

Back