Yeast Starter Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
I just did the 1st of a 2-step starter for a Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager which has a date of 12/21/15 (my calcs consider viability). Smack pack was stored in the fridge at about 37F and the pack had expanded without smacking. I made this 1st starter (1.036) in a 2L Erlenmeyer flask and used a couple of drops of FermcapS (was trying to use one drop) to keep from boiling over and added a bit of Wyeast yeast nutrient. Brought the yeast and starter to 70F and pitched the yeast and put on the stir plate. The wort before pitching was clear, everything looked normal.

I pitched at 6:30pm Sun evening. By Monday morning starter was cloudy. Not sure if I have a problem, but starter never foamed or ever hit any kind of Krausen after 30 hours. I have let it settle out and it looks like I have a good yeast cake. I was wondering if the lack of foaming/krausen might be due to the use of the FermcapS in the boil (this is the first time I've used)? I don't have the facility to check/count the yeast.

I'm trying to decide whether I should to go ahead and finish my 2nd step starter and use on brew day or whether I have a problem with the yeast??

Appreciate some thoughts here.

I've also noticed that I occasionally do not get Krausen in a starter on my stir plate, but I've always pitched as planned and the batch has turned put fine each time. I'd let a few more folks chime in, but if it were me and I saw a nice layer of yeast settling down, I'd see that as a sign that all is well.

You are seeing exactly what you should be seeing after adding Fermcap to the the wort. The cloudiness is just suspended yeast.

Brew on :mug:

Back