Yeast starter prep time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is, 18-36 hrs is optional amount of time per the guys on the BN. I prefer giving my starters 12-24 hrs in the refrigerator to settle post fermentation, so I can decant the beer of of the top and pitch only the yeast. But my time management is lacking at times.

Depends on how large the starter is and how much yeast you are pitching into it. I like to do my starters about 2-3 days before brewing, but 24 hours is generally fine if you keep in mind that you won't be able to chill the starter and decant the starter beer. So formulate and treat the starter (and your "regular) beer knowing that you'll add half a gallon or so of unhopped, potentially very oxidized starter beer come pitching time.

From here: http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

Wyeast says starters reach their maximum cell density within 12-18 hours, which sounds about right to me. Some sources suggest that maximum cell densities are not achieved until 24 hours and others as much as 36, but the return on waiting that long is minimal. Let's just say that the bulk of the yeast growth is done by 12-18 hours. I like to pitch starters while they're still very active and as soon as the bulk of reproduction is finished, usually within 8 to 18 hours. This is really convenient, because I can make a starter the morning of the brew day or the night before the brew day and it is ready to go by the time the batch of wort is ready. There is no need to make a starter a week in advance, because I pitch the whole starter, liquid and all (up to a certain size of starter). Yes, you can wait longer and completely ferment it out so you don't have to pitch the liquid, but if you're going to do that, you should use a larger starter and allow the fermentation to go complete cycle over several days, chill, decant the beer and pitch just the yeast. If you're making a smaller starter, it is better to just pitch the entire active starter within about 6 to 12 hours of pitching the yeast into the starter.

I think it depends on how much yeast you are adding to the starter, the age (viability) of the yeast, how you make the starter (stir plate, shaking, or leaving it alone), and the temperature.
Starting with a fresh vial of yeast except during winter, and using a stir plate, mine are ready to pitch in less than 24 hours. During winter, I add an extra 24 hours, and I add an extra 24 hours when using yeast that was harvested more than a month ago.
When starting with yeast harvested from a bottle, it needs to be stepped up several times, and it usually takes up to about 7 days. Before I had a stir plate, I used to harvest yeast from a bottle, and it used to take 2 - 3 weeks to grow enough.

-a.

Back