Yeast starter OG/Belgian Tripel pitching rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffbeer71

Reaction score
I usually go about 1 cup of Extra Light DME in a 1000mL starter. Today I decided to do an experiment and did 1/2 a cup in roughly 500mL tp see what the gravity would be and my starter had a gravity reading of about 1.078. So I did another experiment and used 3.5 oz (a little over a 1/2 a cup) in a 1000mL and got about 1.042. I've heard you want to have starters to be in the 1.040 range. So I have a few questions:

1. What ratio of DME to water do you usually use in your yeast starters?

2. I use Beersmith to calculate how many cells I need. Is they're pitching rate based on 1.040? (I read a article from Beersmith that said you should go 3.5-4oz of DME/1000mL of wort to get a 1.040 starter.)

I've been reading up and there's definitely consequences for over pitching as well as under pitching. I'm doing a Tripel that will be about 1.078 OG (supposed to be a 9% ABV), with a 5.25 batch size. When I did my yeast starter I guess my mix of DME to water was getting me starters in the 1.076-8 range. If I did a 1.33L starter with a stir plate, also giving a shot of pure O2 and 1/2 a tsp of yeast nutrient, I's my pitching rate going to be too high? I'm using the Wyeast 3864 Canadian/Belgian Ale Yeast with a package date of 1/5/2014.

I've read that sometimes for a Tripel you want to underpitch to bring out the esters in the beer. I've also read that homebrwers should boost the pitching rate by 50% for higher gravity beers. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Back