yeast starter not starting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullF-16

Reaction score
I prepared a starter 24 hrs ago with 2/3 cup dme and 1 qt water. The solution was boiled for 20 min then ice quenced and was at 70 deg about 15 min later. I pitched a vial of WLP001 california ale yeast that was at the same temp. I put the stopper in the flask and an airlock. Have not noticed a thing. no bubbles, no krauzen, no increase in the amount of yeast. I have done this exact same thing the last 3 batches and all of them took off within a couple hours. What are my options, what should the FG be it already did its thing? Can i just add another vial to this starter. I plan my very first AG pale ale tomorrow.

Thanks

You really don't need it to ferment, but it is a sign that it's alive. Reproduction of the cells, the reason for the starter, just goes on without any really noticeable action in the container. Have you been keeping it in solution, ie. shaking every few hours or put on a stir plate? Taking off within a few hours in a starter can actually be a bad thing, it means not enough time for cells to reproduce.

I stirred vigorously for the first 2 to 3 hrs about every 30 min. this is just not the same as the other white labs vials i have prepped starters for. Got the yeast from my LHBS.

I don't airlock my starters. Put a piece of foil on top so air CAN seep in, but nothing can fall in. Swirl every couple hours for a day or so, then I let it ferment out. Starters usually take me about 3 days, and I never see any real "activity" from them for about a day. I would wait another day or two if you can, to see if it starts going, and not spend the money on another vial if you don't need to.

Thanks, i just couldnt stand it. I added a packet of safale s-04 to it. It should take off and be ready for tomorrow for sure. Which yeast will win out?

Likely the safale, since it will wake up almost immediately. You now have an English ale instead of an American.

You don't need a starter with dry yeast, there are already enough yeast cells to do the job.

Thanks, thats ok, this batch will be my last partial mash (an ed worts haus pale ale). I just received my AHS order 10 min ago with 11 1/2 lbs of grain for an AG version (my first try) of the same brew(ed worts haus pale ale). The WLP001 from AHS should be good for the AG batch. Will the different yeast make a huge difference in the brews.

Thanks for your replies

Don't worry about it. It'll still be good, just a little different than it would have been with WLP001.

Back